• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! I need a bolt

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I cross threaded one of the caliper bolts when putting y brakes back on and need one. I called Rancho Jeep and they want $11 for one of them. I don't really mind paying it, but was hoping someone here might have an extra i could get.

Anyone?

GrimmJeeper said:
go to napa. i assume your XJ is an 01 from your username....

caliper bolt #83177 $7.80

thanks. i didn't even think to check there. and Napa's closer to my house, so i can limp my jeep over there.

I can stick this bolt back in and kind of jam it in there, but i just cleaned up the threads in the knuckle so i don't wanna do that. think its safe to drive with only one bolt for 2 or 3 miles?

i wouldnt reccomend it, but if you have to, you have to. keep your hand close to the ebrake just in case the other bolt snaps and the caliper falls off :D

slowrider said:
Bone yard $2 to get in a $1 for the bolt.
But then I'm cheap.

I always thought you just stuffed the smaller stuff into your back pocket and walk out the gates. Not that I've ever done that. Please don't report me to the authorites. :callme:

TheWarWagon said:
I always thought you just stuffed the smaller stuff into your back pocket and walk out the gates. Not that I've ever done that. Please don't report me to the authorites. :callme:

;) I ;) would ;) never ;) suggest ;) such ;) a ;) thing ;););)

I'm not going to drive 25 miles to Ecology to get all muddy for a damn bolt. Just not feeling that today, so the extra few bucks was worth it to me.

I went to Napa and picked up the part that GrimmJeeper recommended. It turned out to be 2 bolts, and the spacers and rubber covers also, for 8.99. Took that home, hoping to clean up the threads enough for the new bolt to thread ok, but i couldn't. So i had to go back and pay over $40 for the Helicoil kit and proper drill bit. Luckily i had the key to my gf's XJ so i didn't have to risk it with mine. It's all done now, and the helicoil kit that i didn't have money for is now up for sale in the for sale forum.

01_XJ said:
I'm not going to drive 25 miles to Ecology to get all muddy for a damn bolt. Just not feeling that today, so the extra few bucks was worth it to me.

I went to Napa and picked up the part that GrimmJeeper recommended. It turned out to be 2 bolts, and the spacers and rubber covers also, for 8.99. Took that home, hoping to clean up the threads enough for the new bolt to thread ok, but i couldn't. So i had to go back and pay over $40 for the Helicoil kit and proper drill bit. Luckily i had the key to my gf's XJ so i didn't have to risk it with mine. It's all done now, and the helicoil kit that i didn't have money for is now up for sale in the for sale forum.
sorry it didnt work out for you man, and we dont make an oversized caliper bolt for your XJ. glad you got it all worked out tho.

well it all worked out just fine, its just that i had to end up buying the Helicoil kit. It was my fault for stripping the damn thing in the first place. I'm tempted to try to take it back, but not sure.

GrimmJeeper said:
:twak: :twak: :twak: i work for napa you ding dong dont tell me stuff like that! :confused1
:D You know you've done it at least once.
J/K I'm not going to. if it was something i hadn't used i wouldn't feel bad, but returning it w/o all the stuff is stealing. More important to have a clear conscience.

Back