• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody with either 8" rustys or skyjacker lift?

ksmithers88

NAXJA Forum User
before you blast me for not searching,i have, and fell short so here goes.

Just acquired a new 2000 xj and i'm looking to get a 8" susp. lift. The Rusty's is cheaper, and ive heard from some that they are comparable to RC. Skyjacker of course more expensive, but is it really worth spending the $3000, plus SYE and CV drifeshaft? Anybody have any first hand experience with either of these or have any super official expert advice to hand down? I'm trying to get the best for the money as my last lift on my previous xj pretty much fell apart after a few years. Do i go with rustys, skyjacker, or with the 6.5" RC and get shackles/spacers to achieve the full 8", or any 6.5" lift for that matter. Help me here guys...

edit: i'll be putting 37x14.00 iroks on it, and i'm looking for a few inches of clearance

Thanks.

psh, a wheeler of course :patriot:

if i wanted a mallcrawler i would have gotten a ford ranger like the rest of the idiots in my town did

ksmithers88 said:
psh, a wheeler of course :patriot:

if i wanted a mallcrawler i would have gotten a ford ranger like the rest of the idiots in my town did
Are you sure,Mall crawlers tend to be 6-8",while a good trail rig would be 4-6" max.Sounds bling to me!

all we have in florida is mud and freakin lakes, so the taller it is, the better...

id rather have a stock xj than a mallcrawler, everytime i see one of those new f250s that are skyrocketed with like 15" of lift, i just wanna piss on the hood, but dont get goin on a tangent

Based on a wealth of information on this board and others, I wouldn't recommend either vendor, or that high a lift for 37's. What you may save up front, you may regret later. Other vendors make far superior kits.

As I don't have first hand experience with these lits, I would recommend seeking out the tons of actual feedback on these products.

The first year I had a XJ, I lost an Ebay auction for an RC 8" by $1. That was best auction I ever lost :)

I have a rusty's 6 inch long-arm kti and have no problems what so ever. We actually have two of their kits running in our group and we both love them. A ton of flex. My 1991 doesn't ride as good as the 1998 that has the kit but mine doesn't get driven as much as the 1998 so the lift is still a little stiff. I also have revolver shackles on the rear and a spacer in the front of mine do to added weight and what not. I don't think you can go wrong with the rusty's kit.

I am one to not belive all the hype about which lift is better. Everybody has different desires from their lifts and some just don't want to follow the routine everyone else does. Rockkrawlr and TNT and many other may be better or they may not be, but that is the fun part of building a jeep, you get to figure out which one you want.

Have fun!

psuwheeler said:
X2 thats alot of tire for stock axles and steering.

Agreed 100%: Turning 37's on a stock drivetrain in mud deep enough to warrent an 8" inch and you will hear lots of nasty sounds :repair: :bawl: .

You get probably get away with a built 44 in the front and a 9 inch rear. UNCC Civilengineer runs 37s with 44s front and rear.

Yep, seems like an axle swap would be the smart move for anything over a 35" tire. Don't know the specifics on either of those kits, but I do know that I have had no problems with my Clayton's 6.5". I upgraded my steering links and beefed up the box area of the frame too. Pretty sure you will have issues post-haste if you run 37" Swampers on stock steering, that's a lot of torque to put on that skinny Y-link tie rod/drag link combo.

I just got rustys 8'' coils and price jackers 8'' leaves and a 79 bronco for axles all i need is a axle housing for my front axle and metal and i"ll let you know how it does i plan on stuffing 38x12.50 tsls under it. oh and i need heims for my long arms. sorry dude but i agree the stock axles wont last 5 mins turnin 37s say good bye to your ball joints and wheel bearings that if you dont just snap that little 30 in half

Back