• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumpers, hitches, and hooks oh my.

Love2Ride450

NAXJA Forum User
I have been reading and reading about front bumpers and tow hooks so that I am blue in the face now. I was starting to think it was time to plan a HD bumper with heavy multi-bolt mounts, extending through the front of the bumper so I could put shackles on. Then I looked at TONS of bumpers and decided I am not crazy about the sheer mass of these things. I have a 90/10 street/off road XJ, and really only care about being able to recover or be recovered from front/rear/sides. I am not worried about being able to smash through Prius' like they weren't there, or making mincemeat of deer while not affecting my bumper. I am not planning on bolting a winch to the top now, but provisions will be able to be made later.

But wait, a ray of light... I saw the Detours Backbone system, which upon further inspection, decided was much more what I was looking for.

My mind went crazy, planning this thing out in my head. I like the fact it ties the front end together nicely, so unlike stock type hooks up front, it will not pull on one side of the uni-body at a time. I am imagining all of the material I will need, so I can build it heavy duty in a light fashion. :idea: I have an epiphany, I have an old hitch reciever laying around. And the final plan begins.

I will remove the bumper, make some long bumper mounts using the existing three bolts on each side, plus an additional 3-4 per side, including the steering box bolts. Cut the main section of the drop hitch to fit between the mounts, with the receiver tube directly behind the license plate. Use some angle iron to attach to the lower header panel (for lack of the proper term) Cut a 2"x2" square hole in the bumper,re-install, and mount the license plate to a 2" square tube. When I go wheeling, remove the plate, (you don't want to bend it up anyway) and install a shackle mount. If it all works as planned, the front should appear stock until the license plate is removed. If my finances ever allow, I can build a winch cradle to stuff in the receiver front or rear. I like that idea because then my winch can be in the garage where it only gets wet when used, and is slightly more difficult to steal.

So here is my questions. Am I a pioneer, or has someone already done this? Is a single centered recovery point sufficient, and efficient? Either way, I would like to know if you guys have any suggestions before I start, or advice from experience you could toss my way.

Sounds pretty much what I'm planning to build, so any advice would be very helpful.

I'm looking at replacing the bumper with a piece of box-section, of a suitable size that the original bumper will then be refitted over it. The box section will be mounted to the unibody in the way suggested. The front of the box will be cut to form a pin-type hitch, similar to that seen on trucks and forklifts, just a piece of bar that slots through both sides of the box, with a clip to prevent it falling out. Front bumper will be cut to match and refitted in order to keep the front end looking standard.

I can't think of any problems with the design and a single front (or rear) recovery point strikes me as inherently better than twin points and a bridle, as well as being very quick and simple to use - pull the pin, put the rope/strap etc in, drop the pin through the eye of the rope, ready to go.

Well I spent all day yesterday on this. I now have a 2" receiver in the center of my bumper. I didn't take any pics of it yet. I will say there is not a lot of room back there! My receiver tube is six inches long, it passes through a piece of 3" od square tubing and touches the support beneath the radiator. The pin hole is about 2 1/2" from the end of the tube, and it is just behind the bumper. The end of the tube sticks out about 1 1/2". It is not quite as stealthy as I would have liked, but it will work nicely.

I'll take some pics when I tear it apart to paint it.

I was much where you are on this. I like the stock look vs. those heavy looking aftermarket front bumpers. I was set on the DETOURS as well. Looks like a nice set up. After pondering it over, I will be using a Draw-tite front receiver ($112 shipped from etrailer) It has a 9000# rating, kinda hard to believe IMO, but even if it is half of that is great for a hook up front. You have a reciever option as well as hook locations. The Draw tite mounts as high as any front hitch so clearance is not a problem. Actual reciever is even with airdam, which you have to cut a hole in (the only modification to make the reciever fit). You can always use a winch with a cradle with this option as well. I am a bit of a tight azz when it come to spending money on toys, so I look at every modification like this: best function vs. cost. I even like fabbing my own stuff, but for $112 for a bolt on, no headache front recovery system it would be hard to beat the value of the hitch option IMHO.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of this setup. I've thought of doing the same. I considered using a spring loaded lisence plate cover similar to those used on cars with the fuel filler behind the plate or I might use a heavy duty plate bracket that can be used as a step.

M21 said:
I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of this setup. I've thought of doing the same. I considered using a spring loaded lisence plate cover similar to those used on cars with the fuel filler behind the plate or I might use a heavy duty plate bracket that can be used as a step.

I used a flip down plate on my roll pan setup on my old chevy pickup. I liked it, you couldn't see the receiver unless it had a stinger in it. I don't think that will work in this situation tho. There just isn't enough room. The only way would be to weld the receiver tube to flat plate across the front. That might work, but I dunno.

Here are some pics as it sits right now. It's raining outside and I may melt, so I'll remove the bumper and paint the receiver next weekend. I am not really looking forward to messing with the steering box bolts again.

100_0571.jpg

100_0572.jpg

Okay. I put the "finishing" touches on today. Here are some pics of the setup.
I had to trim the upper hole off for the bumper, shown here.
100_0577.jpg

Here are a few shots of the hitch itself.
100_0574.jpg

100_0573.jpg

Here are some pics mounted without the bumper. (obviously)
100_0580.jpg

100_0578.jpg

And the final pics with the bumper re-installed. The bumper itself is only held by two bolts on each side, because I had to trim out the upper mount.
100_0583.jpg

100_0581.jpg

100_0582.jpg

Last edited:
So how about a full write-up on this? Do you know what brand hitch you used? I currently have a hidden hitch receiver up front and it's a real pain since it hangs so low. I really like your idea; it looks great.

I am not sure what else I would put into a write up. I ended up completely fabbing the hitch, since the one I had was too short. It is attached to the front cross member, via three grade 8 5/16 bolts with large washers. If you would like to build one, I suggest using slightly different material. I used what I had laying around, save for the receiver tube itself.

Did you make a template for the side mounting points yourself, or did you use one from here? I have seen a couple floating around, but the measurements weren't the same on both.
After deciding that my front tow hooks are not properly secured, I am going to add reinforcement going down the sides with a tie-in bar connecting them like you did. I considered the Detours backbone myself, but since I don't have a winch yet, I don't want that big plate sticking out of my bumper for it.... plus I'm a cheap ass! :D

I wanna smash thru a Prius....

or a Kia...

or a Honda Element....they are so ghey...

FURIOUS SMASH!!! :)

mtmetzger said:
Did you make a template for the side mounting points yourself, or did you use one from here? I have seen a couple floating around, but the measurements weren't the same on both.
After deciding that my front tow hooks are not properly secured, I am going to add reinforcement going down the sides with a tie-in bar connecting them like you did. I considered the Detours backbone myself, but since I don't have a winch yet, I don't want that big plate sticking out of my bumper for it.... plus I'm a cheap ass! :D

I'm a cheap ass too. Hence the cheap build. I just measured where I wanted my holes, and drilled with a drill press. No template at all. I did have to make some holes bigger for proper fit, I'm definitely not perfect at measuring and drilling. I believe I read about some pre drilled brackets you could purchase from AJ's or something. It was in another bumper thread on here. Maybe the poster will chime in.

Man that looks great! Good job. I am hoping the wifie took my hint and ordered the drawtite for my christmas.

I like how high you have it mounted, its about 4-5" higher than the drawtite will be. Might have to modify it when I get it.

Last edited:
(first post) :)

i've been weighing over this same option. i like the option of having a cradle mounted winch to switch to the front/rear/or other 4x4. I like what you've done, but i *think* may stick with the low-mount drawtite setup.

I'm building my cherokee for expedition stuff (baja and canada/alaska). for me, the low mount provides the best protection of the steering equipment. if your looking for maximum front end clearance - your setup is definitely the best option!

One of the advantages to a setup like mine is you get to keep the skid. On a lot of the hitches you buy, you have to remove it.

I haven't had a chance to tug on it yet, but I plan on attaching my jeep to my Dad's crawler and lifting the front wheels off the ground, just for uhhh... test purposes...

Did you have to use longer steering box bolts? I looked at mine and I don't see much thread sticking out of the backside of the box. I know adding a 1/4" plate under the front side of the bolts will make them that much shorter.

Back