• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgraded Power Steering Pumps

jwtrapper

NAXJA Forum User
I have been doing some searching and have not found anything on upgrading your power steering pump. Is there one out there that would fit and XJ? Maybe off of a dakota or something. I have found many threads on the Dakota steering box but nothing on a better pump.

just did those mods saturday while changing my leaking high pressure line,works great, I drilled out the fitting 3/16 and removed the shim.so far I've noticed that low rpm turning effort is reduced, but I have not tried it out offroad yet ( we have snow). I love cheap easy mods!!

Okay I just did this mod on my wifes jeep and now I am having some problems. In the driveway it is great, a lot better than it used to be. Out on the road its good but seems to get stiff while driving. Making turns is good, but when I go to make a U-turn it's like there is no power steering at all. Some times it will do it just when turning onto another street. Whats the deal??? Anyone else have this problem? I think I am going to have to take it back apart, I just hope I can get the washer out now.

Are you sure you don't have any air in the system or leaks?

jwtrapper said:
Okay I just did this mod on my wifes jeep and now I am having some problems. In the driveway it is great, a lot better than it used to be. Out on the road its good but seems to get stiff while driving. Making turns is good, but when I go to make a U-turn it's like there is no power steering at all. Some times it will do it just when turning onto another street. Whats the deal??? Anyone else have this problem? I think I am going to have to take it back apart, I just hope I can get the washer out now.

:doh: :D

I've heard of this happening in hydraulic ram steering. Something to do with the fluid, it aerates to the point where its inoperative.

In Hydraulic Ram steering you loose control. In power steering you just loose the power assist...

Something like that.

Most likely has to do with air in the system or so much power assist its causing aeration

ColoradoRaptor said:
Funny "Turd" Why don't you come over and help me fix it.

No leaks (so far) I bled the system by what I read on here. Turn wheel back and forth 10 times, fill with fluid. I know its too full but that shouldn't hurt the power steering. It wasn't hard to do and its not hard to get to, just don't want to have to do it again.

I had this happen to my 05' Dodge. Come to find out smething got pinched inside the box and had to be replaced. It also started leaking though.

Back