• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ steering upgrade questions.

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to round up parts for a WJ knuckle, steering and brake conversion and having issues finding the exact info I need.

I have a couple questions for those that have done this.

First, will the WJ brakes fit with a 16 inch wheel? Or do I need to go 17.

Second, Will the hub off an 01 XJ work if you use JKS spacers? Or do I need a different hub?

Thanks.

Ryan, 16" wheels are ideal for the WJ brakes as that was the smallest size wheel on the WJ. You can just about get away with some 15" wheels but it really depends on backspace and the section thickness of the rim. I'm fairly certain that MJR was using 15" wheels before changing to 16s. I'm not sure about the later hub, probably worth sending Mike a PM.

Vince said:
Ryan, 16" wheels are ideal for the WJ brakes as that was the smallest size wheel on the WJ. You can just about get away with some 15" wheels but it really depends on backspace and the section thickness of the rim. I'm fairly certain that MJR was using 15" wheels before changing to 16s. I'm not sure about the later hub, probably worth sending Mike a PM.
Thanks Vince, I had JUST found the info I was looking for.

Makes no difference now as I just ordered a set of 17 inch wheels and tyres (so you could understand :D) anyway.

DrMoab said:
Trying to round up parts for a WJ knuckle, steering and brake conversion and having issues finding the exact info I need.

I have a couple questions for those that have done this.

First, will the WJ brakes fit with a 16 inch wheel? Or do I need to go 17.

Second, Will the hub off an 01 XJ work if you use JKS spacers? Or do I need a different hub?

Thanks.

To ease you rmind, I just put WJ brakes on mine with 15" Wheels. It was damn close but it fit fine. You'll be fine with 16's.

Second, I purchased 01 XJ hubs and used the JKS spacers. So it seems like you have mostly everything figured out.

Feel free to PM me. I feel like I'm fluent in the ways of that conversion. Andy

lowrange2 said:
To ease you rmind, I just put WJ brakes on mine with 15" Wheels. It was damn close but it fit fine. You'll be fine with 16's.

Was that with 15x10 wheels? What backspacing do you have? I have 15x8 with 3.75" backspacing but I'm running with Warn 5.5 hub conversion and CJ7 discs. I have heard that someone has done this conversion with Warn hubs but I've never found any information about it.

One of the more common write-ups was done using Warn hubs. I'll try to find it.

I'm pretty sure it's 3.75 back spacing as well.

It's very close... you can see more of the same crappy pics in the same album,

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/lowrange2/PB270676.jpg

PB270676.jpg

DrMoab said:

I just finished mine Ryan. Mine has the 5 x 4.5 Warn kit.

As I undrestand it, The only potential issue with the hubs is the rotors not fitting somehow. I used 2002 Sport-trac rotors. They fit my application perfectly without mod and I've heard they work for the unit bearings also.

I have the early calipers(Teves) and they fit fine with my 15 x 8" Steel wheels. But the hub kit pushes the wheels out 3/4" more than a standard unit-bearing.

Set it up with a waggy or WJ pitman arm or you will lose your steering radius. I did. I guess there is a possibility that an XJ box has more throw than my Durango box but I don't think so. After putting the WJ pitman arm on, I can go nearly stop to stop on the knuckles. I can go from rubbing the tires on CA's to CA though.

Here's the difference in the Pitman arms. My old one was from a ZJ for 1" drop.

2007_1127009.jpg

Back