• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reneck brakeline extension

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
And I wondered why the brakes sucked when I bought it....

Kids- don't try this at home!

PB290708.jpg

Yes - that is, in fact, fuel line.

That does look very cobbled and dangerous. I have always wondered if you could do rubber brakelines though (other than the hydraulic pressed ones). Like running rubber line along the rear axle tubes and such. Screwing a barb into the T on the rear axle and so on. It's just too high of a pressure though isn't it? Not to mention that something could puncture it fairly easy?

wow, that's pretty bad. However, I doubt you would die without rear brakes, it's not like you'd lose the front if the back line blew. Unless they did the same great mod in the front.

Are they for sale since you got new ones? I need longer brake lines and they look to be about the right length.:D

90PioSport99 said:
It's just too high of a pressure though isn't it?

BINGO!! if the connections were tight i doubt it would actually "blow out", at least not immediately... the rubber line will stretch as pressure is pressed against the slave cylinders so at some point it would pop somewhere.. that looks like a trail fix that "seemed ok" so he didn't fix it right away...

I thought you guys would get a kick out of that! I saved it to take a picture jsut for the NAXJA nation! Before we took it off I had my brother push the brakes and watched that rubber hose swell up about .5" wide! Pressure sucked!!!

sidriptide said:
BINGO!! if the connections were tight i doubt it would actually "blow out", at least not immediately... the rubber line will stretch as pressure is pressed against the slave cylinders so at some point it would pop somewhere.. that looks like a trail fix that "seemed ok" so he didn't fix it right away...

I don't see how that's a trail fix. I mean what are the odds that he needs to extend his brakeline in the middle of the trail? And of course he had all those fittings to make it work handy with him..

Since we are looking at booty fab... a story to relate.

Back in the late 1990s I put a SOA on a LWB SJ-413. I couldn't find a decently long rear brake line so I had to cobble something up for a weekend wheeling trip. I relocated the hard mount at the frame rail (good!) and put two brake lines in line to span the distance (bad!).

You know what happened I'm sure.

After driving on a mix of four and two lane highway for about seven hours we finally got to the little back road that lead to the trail head. After about 5-10 minutes the cable unscrewed and dumped all the brake fluid out in that circuit (Suzukis are dual diag channel brake system - IIRC - long time ago).

Scary few moments while I got the rig down from ~80km/h on a down hill with lots of curves. SJ/Samurai brakes are crap on a stock Sam, now throw on some 33" tires. :) I was fully loaded for the weekend: me and my wife, a friend and our dog and two complete sets of camping gear. It could have been a bad tragedy for all involved.

So, needless to say, don't cobble brakes just to get stuff done for a weekend trip. Since then I'm really anal about that kind of stuff.

On the fuel line stuff you found - that will blow apart soon enough. Brake line is rated for a couple thousand psi. Carb fuel line something like 40 psi, EFI fuel line something like 150 psi. Thank goodness you spotted that and have a chance to correct it before you get hurt.

I had a customer come into work a few weeks ago, and asked for a length of 3/8" rubber hose and a couple clamps. He didn't specify fuel line, so I just gave him vacuum hose since it is cheaper. On his way out the door, his phone rang and he said he was on his way back with the brake line patch :eek:

Supposedly he came back in later that night and asked for a piece of steel line. Apparrently the vac. line burst as soon as he hit the brakes to check for leaks. No $hit Sherlock.

1996cc said:
wow, that's pretty bad. However, I doubt you would die without rear brakes, it's not like you'd lose the front if the back line blew. Unless they did the same great mod in the front.
Actually yes he would. Have you ever bled brakes before? That line burst, all the fluid leaks out, he hits the breaks, its basically like a short circuit in an electrical system, the fluid can either push really hard to apply the brakes, or just freely squirt out the open end. Thus equalling no brakes.

mjdavis31 said:
thats scary how long did you have the jeep before you noticed that

About 10 minutes after I got it to the house, rolled it off the trailer and tryed to push the brakes... I pushed it to the floor and it coasted to a stop. I checked the brake fluid then crawled under and TA da - Booty Fab!

Begster said:
Actually yes he would. Have you ever bled brakes before? That line burst, all the fluid leaks out, he hits the breaks, its basically like a short circuit in an electrical system, the fluid can either push really hard to apply the brakes, or just freely squirt out the open end. Thus equalling no brakes.

The brakes have two circuits. He'd lose the rear brakes and the pedal would get lower, but he would still have the front brakes.

Back