• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cat Back Exhaust

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
Seems rust a eaten up the rear of the system. I am going to put on a cat back I was going to use a Thrush or a Dynomax Muffler. Is it worth going to a 2 1/2 from the 2 1/4 stock pipe or will the turbo muffler make a big enough differance on its own.

get the rusty's cat back system. If you want real loud, get the 40 with it. If you want a nice tone but not too loud, get the 50. My friend has it, and I wish I had gotten that instead of my Dynomax Super Turbo Cat Back System. Besides, it seems as though Rusty's uses a thicker gauge steel than dynomax on the tailpipe.

Maybe I worded it wrong I am going to have the tail pipe made up I just do not know if there is a big differance in the 2 1/2 or 2 1/4 in. pipe aside from a 1/4 in. Are there any benifits to going into a larger pipe.

not really... Yeah, it's free-er flowing, but wont make much of a difference because of the 2.25" pipe between the cat and the muffler.

If you wanted to make a difference, get a high flow cat w/ 2.5" inlet/outlet and then a 2.5" pipe to go from there to a 2.5" inlet/outlet flowmaster 50 or 40 and a 2.5" out the back.

Correct that if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the inlet to the Catalytic Converter is 2.5". (I think it's 2.5" from the header Y-pipe to the Cat).

yeah, well you are in ontario. That salt will get to it real good. (I'm originally from upstate NY).

I learned my lesson, now I have a Banks SS header and a Gibson SS cat back, come spring the middle chunk will become SS

if you want a good sound, IMO, the dynomax super turbos are a waste of money.....the ultra flo dynomax sounds pretty good, 40 series is ok,and the top of the line I believe to be the banks catback system.....

ty20404 said:
not really... Yeah, it's free-er flowing, but wont make much of a difference because of the 2.25" pipe between the cat and the muffler.

If you wanted to make a difference, get a high flow cat w/ 2.5" inlet/outlet and then a 2.5" pipe to go from there to a 2.5" inlet/outlet flowmaster 50 or 40 and a 2.5" out the back.

Correct that if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the inlet to the Catalytic Converter is 2.5". (I think it's 2.5" from the header Y-pipe to the Cat).

You're right.

I did that with a magnaflow 2.5" cat, flowtech terminator muffler, and 2.5" pipe throughout. With the new cat I noticed a difference, but my old one was toast.

A 2.5" tailpipe will, at the very least, increase resonance. Something about the exhaust gasses cooling and the larger diameter outlet.

cj11 said:
Maybe I worded it wrong I am going to have the tail pipe made up I just do not know if there is a big differance in the 2 1/2 or 2 1/4 in. pipe aside from a 1/4 in. Are there any benifits to going into a larger pipe.

y would u have it made up its available prebent i think mine i got online but dont remember where

I'm pretty sure rusty's sells just the tailpipe. Yup 80 bucks.

BLSXJ said:
my dynomax cat back (muffler and tail pipe) rusted off in three years! and I mean off!

Not to hi-jack but ever think about using POR-15 heat resistant paint? I am thinking of doing this when I get my new exhaust.

2001XJ said:
Not to hi-jack but ever think about using POR-15 heat resistant paint? I am thinking of doing this when I get my new exhaust.

You gonna coat the inside also??? Thats usually where the rust starts.

TRSCobra said:
You gonna coat the inside also??? Thats usually where the rust starts.

maybe...don't know but it sure will be protected on the outside from the TONS of salt they use each winter in MI

im gut n the cat and running 2.5inch for a foot or so then a 40flowmaster and then 2foot or so to a side pipe running out right before the rear wheel. Havent seen n e one do this.

projectTK said:
im gut n the cat and running 2.5inch for a foot or so then a 40flowmaster and then 2foot or so to a side pipe running out right before the rear wheel. Havent seen n e one do this.
beware of fumes being sucked inside the truck

Back