• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinions on ball joint quality

x2 on moog, federal mogul, TRW all same company but are quality joints pretty affordable too

Why that big price spread between the red_label and the professional ? and is that a single ball joint or pair ?

RichP said:
Why that big price spread between the red_label and the professional ? and is that a single ball joint or pair ?

It's kind of like comparing an S & K ratchet to a Harbor Freight ratchet...The red label is for when you just need it to pass inspection to sell a vehicle (job security for the techs).

I got mine from trailquest.com and got them two days later, because we're both in Ohio. They were the good Spicers for ~$90 shipped. Since you're further south of me (Toledo) you might get them next day, depending on what time of day you call.

I get mine from a 4X4 shop or a driveshaft shop.
Not sure about the price, best I can remember around $35 for a Spicer kit with one upper and one lower.
Upper and lower must be replaced at the same time because removing the knuckle will damage the upper.

Slo-Sho said:
It's kind of like comparing an S & K ratchet to a Harbor Freight ratchet...The red label is for when you just need it to pass inspection to sell a vehicle (job security for the techs).

Well I don’t know were that information is located on the Spicer site
This is what they state.

“Spicer Red offers you the quality you have come to expect from Spicer, but at a more competitive price.”

I ordered the "service Grade" and they were made the USA so that alone is enough for me to believe they are fine quality. They were all steel "not nylon inserts" so I would question you information.
I also ordered a tie rod end it was the "service grade” it also was made in the USA.
So I really doubt there is much difference in the units other than price. Spicer is not going to make junk parts.
It could be that they just need to have parts with a lower price point and that’s how they do it .

Last edited:
Comanchedude said:
They were all steel "not nylon inserts" so I would question you information.

Last time I pulled a knuckle off the threaded part of the upper ball joint came off with the knuckle. The part stuck on the knuckle was like a pin with the upper portion polished and the bottom threaded to fit the knuckle.
That left a hole in the upper ball joint. When I looked inside the upper ball joint,it looked like the hole was made of some sort of plastic or possibly just a plastic liner.

Comanchedude said:
Well I don’t know were that information is located on the Spicer site
This is what they state.

“Spicer Red offers you the quality you have come to expect from Spicer, but at a more competitive price.”

I ordered the "service Grade" and they were made the USA so that alone is enough for me to believe they are fine quality. They were all steel "not nylon inserts" so I would question you information.
I also ordered a tie rod end it was the "service grade” it also was made in the USA.
So I really doubt there is much difference in the units other than price. Spicer is not going to make junk parts.
It could be that they just need to have parts with a lower price point and that’s how they do it .

Hey if you're happy then go for it, who am I to say?? But you question my information and I'll question your logic.

Back