• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What exactly happens when you overlaod a AMC swing away?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious how the swing away fails when over loaded. Do the bearings just pull out of the swing away or does the sheet metal actually tear away around the upper body mount?

Bolted mine up today and I think I made it pretty solid.

Thanks!

Plays For Jeeps said:
Just curious how the swing away fails when over loaded. Do the bearings just pull out of the swing away or does the sheet metal actually tear away around the upper body mount?

Bolted mine up today and I think I made it pretty solid.

Thanks!

It probably bends and then breaks.

Let's put it this way. There is no good that can come of it so don't do it, Put your big ass tire on the roof of build/buy a better tire carrier

Well I have a 31" on which I was told was the max for the carrier then I beefed up the carrier. I just want to make sure I have my ass covered before Im chasing a 31 down the highway.

Thanks

Your talking about the old style right? The one that mount above the tailight and to the bumper? If you don't reinforce the area behind the light eventually it will tear. I'll post pics later of mine.

Build a bumper and attach it to said bumper.

karstic said:
Your talking about the old style right? The one that mount above the tailight and to the bumper? If you don't reinforce the area behind the light eventually it will tear. I'll post pics later of mine.

sweet, I used the backing plate and all new grade 8 hardware.

karstic said:

I think that's the one I used. If so, I replaced and enlarged all the hardware and then reinforced the "L" bracket the held the tire with some diagonals. Been holding my BFGs for a year now with no problems, but yes, it does want to stress the body when I swing it out of the way. Locked in place, no problem.

Back