• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats better, poweraid tbs and airaid intake, or k&n fipk?

miller

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, i am new to this board, i just purchased a 1999 jeep cherokee and i was wondering what intake would be better for a 4.0 L engine. The poweraid tbs and airaid intake or the K&N FIPK, both are close in cost, but which would perform better?

bigwhitey said:
Saving your money!!!!!

The Jeep engines were designed to the max. Changing any of it will interupt performance from something else.

the k&n might make a very small difference, and the tbs is garbage.

and wtf is bigwhitey talking about?

j99xj said:
They are all overpriced. Rustys off road sells a good intake kit for far less money. As for a throttle body spacer you can get them on ebay for cheap.

Agreed for $70 you can get the tube and huge 6" X 9" cone K&N instead of spending $200+ for the FIPK kit. The only thing this more expensive kit does is maybe give you a few more HP by isolating the incoming air from the hot under hood temps by compartmentizing it. The cone itself gives you much better air flow than stock alone and for under $70 it's not a bad price.

And for those people saying that there is no benefit to letting your motor breath more easily (K&N cone) and expell the gases more easily (Cat Back) you are mistaken. You can always get more HP and some more MPG out of doing this, these are relatively low cost mods that do good by themselves and/or complement more expensive mods like a CAM change, etc.

Last edited:
XgeekstarX said:
tossed my K&N a long long time ago
Just curious... Why, may I ask, did you do that? I've been running one on my 87 for two years with no known issues. Anything I should be looking out for?

XgeekstarX said:
tossed my K&N a long long time ago

Just tossed mine also. I found some very fine dust in the tube after 3 days in moab. AEM dryflow is on now. In fine dust situations, stay away from the K+N. Even if you keep it dirty, it is lacking somehow.

I, also, have no clue what bigwhitey is talking about.

Mine is running Rusty's "tube" with the AEM.

thanks for referring me to rustys, i am looking at the kit that is 255 dollars and comes with the intake, tbs, k&n filter, flowmasters, and new tail pipe, is that a good buy or is there other stuff i should be searching for, thanks for your help, i appreciate it! oh by the way i live in Michigan, there isn't really a place were fine dust appears here (not a desert or anything)

Last edited:
jerics4life said:
may i ask why trottle body spacers are garbage?

i was thinking about putting rustys on my 89

sam

They aren't garbage. Its just that they are advertised to make trendmous gains when they don't. Thats why most people are disappointed.

I got some gas mileage and some more low end torque from the spacer. But mine is a SMOOTH bore spacer from ebay which is by far the best. Any of the "swirl" or "helix" kind are a waste and don't do anything but restrict flow.

streetpirate said:
the k&n might make a very small difference, and the tbs is garbage.

and wtf is bigwhitey talking about?

Show me a "real" dyno print out before and after
Before: Any completely stock 6 cyl
After: The same jeep with intake,Bored TB, TB spacer, headers and full exhaust. Be sure to add the total price of all these parts at the bottom with the total gain in power.

I say this because i have all of this and feel no difference. So, over a grand later I learned that I should have saved my money for stock in snake oil.

miller,

I am also from Michigan, If you plan on spending ANY time at the silver lake sand dunes, dirt roads, The Mounds, or anywhere else I recommend staying away from the K&N filters. As stated before, K&Ns allow some very small particles to enter the intake. I bought into the K&N hype for a little while but promptly switched back to a stock paper filter after a short time.

Another upgrade I'm planning on making other than my rear bumper issue.

It seems K&N opinions are 50/50.
What aftermarket FIPK kit would everyone recommend. Also, give us some good homebrew ideas, including exactly what to buy, price, instructions, or refer us to a favorite website.

Thanks
KodiakXJ

Back