• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BDS Suspension systems

DougJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've got my Tacoma sold so it's time to get to work on the Jeep. It's a 2001 XJ with the upcountry package. I've got a nice and nearly new set of Rubicon Moabs with 245/75R16 MTR's for it. Searching has got me next to nothing on BDS. I've read a few very good things, and the BDS guys are saying the things I want to here. (of course)

Looking for good quality components and around 4.5" of lift. It's gonna be a daily driver and will see alot of forest service / logging roads and moderate difficulty trails. The upcountry suspension works very well within it's limitations and I'm looking to maintain good ride quality. I've heard/read alot about various kits (RE for example) that don't net near the advertised ride hight, don't lift evenly, or ride poorly. Don't want it if that's the case.

Can anyone comment on Jeep BDS stuff? The 4.5" kit is very complete and seems like it will works for me.

Oh, and before anyone tells me I need an SYE. Got that concept, going with PORC HD SYE and a front DS.

Thanks for any help.
Doug

I run a 3" bds setup. I love it, it rides good on the street and flexes well in the woods, and the warranty if parts break is one of the best out there. Its a 2" aal and 1" shackle in the rear, 2" coil spring and a 1" spacer in the front, after it settled it netted exactly 3" front and rear, before it settled it was only 1/2" higher at most.

BDS is popular in my area, alot of guys I know run their kits on jeeps. All of them seem to have good things to say. Only 3 setups I'd consider for 4.5" is BDS, RE or something from dpg.

DougJ said:
I've got my Tacoma sold so it's time to get to work on the Jeep. It's a 2001 XJ with the upcountry package. I've got a nice and nearly new set of Rubicon Moabs with 245/75R16 MTR's for it. Searching has got me next to nothing on BDS. I've read a few very good things, and the BDS guys are saying the things I want to here. (of course)

Looking for good quality components and around 4.5" of lift. It's gonna be a daily driver and will see alot of forest service / logging roads and moderate difficulty trails. The upcountry suspension works very well within it's limitations and I'm looking to maintain good ride quality. I've heard/read alot about various kits (RE for example) that don't net near the advertised ride hight, don't lift evenly, or ride poorly. Don't want it if that's the case.

Can anyone comment on Jeep BDS stuff? The 4.5" kit is very complete and seems like it will works for me.

Oh, and before anyone tells me I need an SYE. Got that concept, going with PORC HD SYE and a front DS.

Thanks for any help.
Doug

Hey Doug,
My brother ran the BDS long arm kit for about a year and then he was involved in an accident that totalled his rig. He loved it and said that he would never buy any other brand of lift after having the BDS kit. It had good road manners, it performed awesome offroad and it was a well built kit as well. I can say from personal experince that I have ran RE, RC and Rusty's lifts and the RE was the best quality kit, partially in fact that I ordered it with the mono tube shocks. My experience with the RE kit was that it sat a bit higher then advertised. @ 3/4" higher on my rig. I have bought misc pats from Rusty's and have yet to be too impressed with them. Their AAL's asagged out early and under load (which most do), and their products are often compared to the "walmart" of lift kits. Now I will probaly get flamed on this, but I recently installed a Rough Country 6.5" lift on one of our XJ's and have been very impressed with it. It rides better then my Rusty's kit, it was a complete bolt on kit and a very complete kit and best of all it was under $1000. There are more HD kits out there, but I was getting this one to kind of test out their products since they have kind of revamped their lines and they do have one of the best customer service guys around. GRIMUS99XJ is a member on here and is the "go-to" guy that takes care of everyone. I will say that I think their shocks leave a bit to be desired, but hey, they are cheap shocks that are included in the kit, what else needs to be said! Back to the original question, yes, the BDS kits are a sweet set up. If I had the extra $$ I would consider getting one for my next project XJ. My $.02

I have a BDS 3" kit I've been running for about 2 yrs and it's not failed me yet in any way. It rides great, but a little on the stiff side. It flexes pretty well, but nothing amazing. Honestly, for the money, buy an RE kit. BDS is overpriced IMO. I bought mine because I was wowed with the no questions asked warranty on breakage. It never crossed my mind that I will probably at no point in my mild wheeling ever break a solid steel spring. Not saying it can't happen, just saying that it probably won't.

For what it's worth, I put a Rough Country 3" on my first XJ about 9 years ago. It was my dd for about 5 yrs and is now my dad's play toy. I have not had one complaint about this lift, sure it is a little stiff but not bad. Best thing about it, it was only $100 back then not including[FONT='CG Times (W1)'] [/FONT]shocks. Just my .02

Thanks for the replies.

I've done allot of pricing of kits and components, in one way this is what led me back to BDS. The kits are spendy to be sure, but the 4.5" is VERY complete. I've priced out OME and RE stuff from various vendors. When I've done that looking at 3.5 to 4.5 inches of lift including all the parts such as a good trackbar, adjustable control arms, brake lines, bumpstops, QD's, spacers/shackles, ect, etc, the cost is very close to or more than the BDS depending on what I include. I've been quoted $1400 + tax for the complete 4.5" BDS kit. Like this: http://www.bds-suspension.com/kits/434H

I'm hoping to find some more personal experience with the product. The guys I've talked to at BDS are very helpful and knowledgeable, if somewhat biased...

From BDS website it looks like they come with crappy control arms.

I love my BDS 3", works well. Drives great, flexes well.

Running front adjustable upper and lower arms, very happy with them, good quality hardware and bushings, fully greasable, I got them for a little over $500 canadian,The rubicon express arms looked good but was out of my price range

RCP Phx said:
Its because they use small diameter poly bushings that eats the bushings and the sleeves(same as Pro-crap and ugh-country).

You have personal experience with these then? Not just something somebody told you? The bushing design looks rather unique.

I could see if they were allowed to run dry for an extended period you could have issues. It seems if they were bad BDS would be replacing them left and right, since they have such a good guarantee.

I'd been pricing JKS arms, they are probably my top choice in short arms.

DougJ said:
You have personal experience with these then? Not just something somebody told you? The bushing design looks rather unique.

I could see if they were allowed to run dry for an extended period you could have issues. It seems if they were bad BDS would be replacing them left and right, since they have such a good guarantee.

I'd been pricing JKS arms, they are probably my top choice in short arms.
Been there,done that!Cant even give the arms away now,everybody knows!

Back