• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi folks...newb here looking for upgrade paths.

Graeme

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I have owned my 2000 Sport for a little over a year now. I put on some larger tires that rub a bit, and my rear leafs are sagging...so I am trying to get my hands on a 3 inch rough country lift kit. Leafs, coils and shocks...I also kinda wrecked the plastic bumpers ends and bumper and I looking at a solid steel bumper.

Will I need anything else? Control arm relocation brackets? Anything?

What would be good to upgrade first? What do most people do?

Thanks,

Graeme

kinda depends on what kinda offroading you do. a good start is always some armor, so rock rails, transfer case skid, front end skid, and gas tank skid, the oem ones work great for almost everyone. also your going to want tow points front and rear. if you get a 3 inch rc lift it should have everything you need and drop brackets for the control arms wont be needed, you may want to get a new trac bar though

First upgrade I did was remove the rear sway bar cheap(free) and by far better articulation. Get recovery points and armor first or you could end up like me and want to test your Jeep with the new lift and get stuck with no easily accessable recovery points and get to reach underneath the Jeep in 3 feet of snow to hook on the tow strap.:twak:

I just want some clearance for the tires, and some front end approach angle clearance. I am just getting into offroading, but right now it's also my daily driver, so I can't do anything ridiculous.

Thanks for the tip on armour...I'll look into that.

As for power, it's got plenty for me for a while.

What's a trac bar?

What about lockers? Worth it right away?

I think the most important decision you have on your hands is budget. Decide on how much you want to spend and DON'T go over it, or else you'll be like many of us...eatin craft dinner from your drivers seat! Ya, decide whether you can afford $250/month or $500/month, and then plan your build around that. All the above suggestions are great, but you would need probably $3000 from lift to exhaust, so plan wise! my 2 cents

Blackchrome said:
I think the most important decision you have on your hands is budget. Decide on how much you want to spend and DON'T go over it, or else you'll be like many of us...eatin craft dinner from your drivers seat! Ya, decide whether you can afford $250/month or $500/month, and then plan your build around that. All the above suggestions are great, but you would need probably $3000 from lift to exhaust, so plan wise! my 2 cents

This is the best advice given!! I did exactly this and now I have a kickass ride with most of the goodies!! Take your time and save a little money, research..research...and more research, buy, wait for all your parts to arrive THEN get to work and have some fun!!:NAXJA:

If you really arent into any kind of serious wheeling, then lockers is a little overkill for right now, i would make sure that everything else is in order, as far as your suspension.

Graeme said:
I just want some clearance for the tires, and some front end approach angle clearance. I am just getting into offroading, but right now it's also my daily driver, so I can't do anything ridiculous.

Thanks for the tip on armour...I'll look into that.

As for power, it's got plenty for me for a while.

What's a trac bar?

What about lockers? Worth it right away?

"just getting into offroading" & "also my DD"............those are the best reasons to start with armor. I can appreciate wanting clearance for bigger tires, however what is going to happen when you want to go wheeling after you get your bigger tires? Many, many, many people have made this mistake (including me). Start with some basic recovery points and armor---look at the local salvage yards for some stock tow hooks and a factory reciever hitch. Then see if you can come across some factory skids (front, t-case, and gas tank). A lift is great if you can actually use it, and if you start with armor and recovery points then you will have the start of an informed mild build.

I like the setup i run, 5 inch lift with short arms, 33x12.5x15 truxx, lockrights front and rear, alloys front and rear, skids, home made rock sliders, home made front bumper with winch mount. Only thing i need now is a cage, But it is a wheeling only vehicle, and goes from the shop to trail on a trailer 75 % of the time :thumbup:

Back