• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

APN HEADER INSTALL ??'s

XJCruiser

NAXJA Forum User
First off, I searched and everything was for 99+ intake so I'm kinda confused. I will be starting the install this Friday night on my 97 with 105xxx miles after I get out of work and have a few questions. My buddy has all the tools needed including the copper spray and chemicals for cleaning everything up. What spare parts will I need for the 97 install? Extra bolts or anything, dont need to replace motor or tranny mounts still in fairly good shape for being 10 years old. Thanks for the help

It's worth changing at least the exhaust side (left hand / driver's side) motor mount even if you think it's still OK. Best to do both.

You will be upset if your new header cracks in a few months because your mounts just started to fail. I got 130,000 miles out of my motor mounts before the left hand mount broke.

I bought new bolts and nuts as the ones I had were rusted. Living in Metric Europe I could only get American sizes in stainless.

When I do my wife's TJ, I may try using cap head bolts for the two on 3 and 4 branch as it's impossible to get a socket and torque wrench on them with the APN. I had to guess by using my equivalent arm force.

I just did the exact process on my 91 a couple days ago...the biggest PITA was the power steering pump bracket. We must've grinded it forever and the pullies still didn't line up right...made my 6 prong fan belt into a 4 prong...fun stuff if you do it right, headache if it goes wrong. As for spare parts, I think I used what came with the header and everything else went back on as far as bolts go. Now, I think it would've went better with a newer bracket and moving the idler pulley under it and running the belt like a newer one, but I had this stupid timing thing in the way. Eitherway though, grinding down the old one should put it on without a hitch.

I just remembered that not long before I had to do my APN, I also had to change my water pump and radiator bottom hose. If you can get the parts cheap enough you will have good access to do this job at the same time. All depends on how proactive you are towards maintenance and downtime. I can't check my history right now but I think that was my either my second or third water pump at 125,000 miles on that motor.

Not sure how relevant this is to you, as I've just remembered that the RHD and LHD radiators, water pump, power steering pump and pulleys are different - I had a RHD.

Last edited:
I just did an APN install on a 1999 XJ, 1997 is just like the 1999. All I had to do was grind a little bit of the intake manifold. The APN header was just a tiny bit bigger than the stock manifold and it prevented the intake from seating flush to the block. It is easier to grind the aluminum than the steel and I only took off 1/16 of an inch. Everything else went well.

A metric set of GearWrench tools will make the job easier -->

Last edited:
Am I going to have a real difficult time sticking with my 97 intake?? I called the local u-pull-it yard and they want $125 if I pull the one with 76xxx miles on it(is that reasonable?)

Didn't get a chance to get her started last night so me and my buddy got busy right before 1230pm this afternoon and by 230 it was completely installed and everything hooked back up and running and being tested for leaks!! Not a single problem at all, was actually rather simple compared to what I was expecting!!! Kept my 1997 intake for the time being.

Back