• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crazy shocks

Arkansas91XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok..it's a 91 I6 with a 3" RC AAL...it seems that the shocks always come loose in the front after about 3 days of driving. Is this normal or are they too long maybe? It really rattles me and anyone with me driving down these crappy Arky roads with the shocks loose.

If you are using lock nuts and still have issues try a version of loc-tite, I think they have some that are less permanent. My shocks stay right where they are supposed to on my 91 with Rancho 9000's. Are the studs or nuts worn out or do the threads look good?

I had the same problem with some aftermarket shocks. Some brands have small rubber bushes and they can deteriorate quickly on rough roads. Get some original equipment shock mount washers and rubber bushes from a Jeep dealer. They are usually larger than most aftermarket shocks and stay firmly fixed. Credit to MJR for this fix, it was driving me nuts having them go loose every couple of days.

you could also run another nut down on it to act as a "jam" nut. I have seen that done with good results.

I switched to a shock conversion mount and loop-to-loop shock for a while, but with only 4.5" of lift I was losing shock length so I just switched back. It's a good solution, worked well.

How tight are you actually tightning the stud nut?

The upper and lower bushings should be squished. This is usually accomplished by tightning the nut and holding the shock so it doens't twist, and then tighten until you cannot hold onto the shock anymore and it keeps twisting when you tighten the nut.

Vince said:
I had the same problem with some aftermarket shocks. Some brands have small rubber bushes and they can deteriorate quickly on rough roads. afteGet some original equipment shock mount washers and rubber bushes from a Jeep dealer. They are usually larger than most rmarket shocks and stay firmly fixed. Credit to MJR for this fix, it was driving me nuts having them go loose every couple of days.
X2 This is a fact,they are(washers and bushings) almost twice as large and of reasonably good compound!

Yeah I looked today to tighten them again and the bushings had both split so um...found the problem haha. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll go up to the dealership sometime or another and get some.

With my stock shocks I had the same problem, I thought I was slowly developing a case of death wobble but it turns out the shock stem's had just come loose. Tightened them back up and the jeep handled waay better.

Back