• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do I get shock length?

smokeeaterXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I just got my new coils and im gettin new shocks because my shocks are pretty much just for looks since none of them work. How do I get my perfect shock length? Is it a measurement from mount to mount? And im lookin at gettin MX-6 shocks, would u approve?

smokeeaterXJ said:
Ok so I just got my new coils and im gettin new shocks because my shocks are pretty much just for looks since none of them work. How do I get my perfect shock length? Is it a measurement from mount to mount? And im lookin at gettin MX-6 shocks, would u approve?
the best thing to do is measure from mount to mount while fully compressed, and then at full droop, then at ride height. From those numbers you want to find a shock that has an extended/collapsed length within those parameters, it is likely you will have to compromise either some compression or droop depending on the final shock length you decide on. I have never used the pro-comps but they look like they would work fine.
Good luck

You don't want procomp shocks, trust me!!!!, after a year of punishment I put on some cheapy gabriels from napa , I am planning on some monotubes this spring

smokeeaterXJ said:
Thanks!
But is it better to have more droop in the end or more compression?

Any time the shock hits its limits is bad. Full extension usually happens fairly gently (unles you're jumping it), where as full compression can happen on a good bump.

I would make sure that you arent limiting your compression because of the shock, either pick one with more travel then your current bump stops or extend your bump stops a little.

Thats just my opinion.. and I dont have any facts to back it up.

bcmaxx said:
You don't want procomp shocks, trust me!!!!, after a year of punishment I put on some cheapy gabriels from napa , I am planning on some monotubes this spring

ive heard procomp are stiff shocks, but do you have first hand knowledge about the mx-6?

no sorry just the es(whateverthehelltheywere) I gave them to my unsuspecting brother to install in his budget boosted xj.haha

smokeeaterXJ said:
My current shocks are actually limiting my droop so should I unbolt them and get the measurement with just the coils in there?

Yes!

smokeeaterXJ said:
My current shocks are actually limiting my droop so should I unbolt them and get the measurement with just the coils in there?
all depends, how much bump travel do you have/want? If you go to a longer shock to get more droop then you are eating into your compression travel. Cycle your suspension with no springs or shocks(if you have the time/means) and see where you have interferences/contact and bumpstop and limit strap accordingly. How it is on my truck is front 6" up travel and 4" down travel, you may want to do it differently depending on your suspension system and what you are trying to achieve. There is some play with the front lower shock mounts if you go custom.
Good luck

You know you don't have to flex your junk to get a shock measurement .The most important thing is to not bottom the shock out.

Measure the distance from mount to mount.Now just subtract the amount of up travel from that number that you would like .That's your collapsed measurement.

600dollarxj said:
Any time the shock hits its limits is bad. Full extension usually happens fairly gently (unles you're jumping it), where as full compression can happen on a good bump.

I would make sure that you arent limiting your compression because of the shock, either pick one with more travel then your current bump stops or extend your bump stops a little.

Thats just my opinion.. and I dont have any facts to back it up.

sound advice indeed.....

Back