• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Color of sidemarkers and parking lamps-EMS guys?

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I was looking in Iowa Code last night and it says there shouldn't be red light on the very front of a vehicle unless it is EMS or related. Do you EMS guys know any of the legal reasons about this? Is the reason they don't want civilians doing this because people would think you're immitating EMS or an officer? I sprayed my sidemarkers and parking lights a transparent red just because I wanted to see what it looked like and I was very impressed with how this paint went on and looks.

RedLights002.jpg

RedLights001.jpg

It looks like it's a $10 fine if I get pulled over if the officer wants to give a ticket. If I put an orange bulb in would that help ya think? Or is it still just the simple fact that the actual lens should not be red?

Not sure about Iowa but in CA red lights signify emergency, so basically you're right. People might think you're trying to look like an emergency vehicle.

I think it kinda looks good. Gives it a bit different look. Plus most Iowa( Idiot Out Walking Around) cops prolly won't even notice. At least not around here. Heck I had a kid bring his car in yesterday that had his windows tinted in red. Ugliest, gayist stuff I ever seen. He said he'd never gotten pulled over for it.

They wont notice it, a yellow bulb might not make the red seem so bright maybe. Do you have pics of it at night with the side markers on?

kdailey4315 said:
Not sure about Iowa but in CA red lights signify emergency, so basically you're right. People might think you're trying to look like an emergency vehicle.
Okay well I just don't want anyone to think I'm trying to pull something like that off, that's why I'm asking. I just wanted something a little different up there.

1985xjlaredo said:
They wont notice it, a yellow bulb might not make the red seem so bright maybe. Do you have pics of it at night with the side markers on?
I hope not, but if they do, I guess I can devote them to one of my XJs that sits for a while. I didn't have them done until this morning. I turned them on for a second this morning when it was just getting light but didn't have the cam. I will post pictures tonight as long as I don't get pulled over throughout the course of the day.

Last edited:
97CountryXJ said:
Looks good Collin, now try the tail lights and see how it turns out.
Testors Candy Apple Red Translucent
I know it, I took your advice and went to Hobby Haven and bought 2 cans. It's good stuff and it dried super smooth. Props to you for bringing a good ricer tradition to the Jeep world Curt.

97CountryXJ said:
There is no such thing as a good ricer, but thanks anyway.
You're right, I was just referring to their idea of spraying lights though.

97CountryXJ said:
Just messin with you.
I know :D, so when are you going to do you parking lights like mine on the black one? I need someone else to run around illegally with.

97 you are illegal but the red is probably a bigger deal. Red or blue on a vehicle is specific to police, fire, and ems. i t make your jeep look like a xmas tree. plus its illegal and RICEY.

Now that would be funny, put some colored strobes on mine. Red, green and blue blinking. EMSmastreeXJ
As for the ricey, yeah.
The red lights on the front do look a bit out of place, but I don't think that they attract enough attention to get pulled over.
We'll see when Collin posts a ticket here.

I do like the look of the clear/white ones with amber bulbs on the front of my 97.
There are some people here in town that have Tahoes and Exploders that have clear side markers and front lenses that are running blue, green and red bulbs. One down the street from my house has one green and one purple. As ricer goes, that is just gawdey.
100_0925pt2.jpg

Dirty Jeep, Happy Jeep

Last edited:
robjohns said:
97 you are illegal but the red is probably a bigger deal. Red or blue on a vehicle is specific to police, fire, and ems. i t make your jeep look like a xmas tree. plus its illegal and RICEY.
Well technically there is red on every vehicle in the taillights. When I was reading in the code it said nothing red on the front of a vehicle unless it is an EMS etc. I know it makes it look like an XMAS tree, that's kind of what I was going for, tis the season. Nonetheless it is illegal, and somewhat Ricey, but I think it looks good. I guess now I'm one of those jackasses that drives around with 5% tint up front, I know I'm going to get pulled over, it's just a question of when. I think I will get the orange "NA" bulbs to go behind them though just so I have (a lame) excuse.

just keep the reds..
typically the red lights belong on the rear of a vehicle and the amber belong on the front of the vehicle.
even trailers are like that red side markers to the rear, amber side markers to the front.
when i took my semi in PO had red lenses on the front of the trailer on the markers and they bounced me for it told me they needed to be amber.
i believe it is to distinguish which way a vehicle is facing or traveling when being recognized by the lights alone.
EMS just gets exempt because they put any color light they want on the front sides and rear of their vehicles.
but if you get a ticket for it, im not paying it :D

alwaysready said:
but if you get a ticket for it, im not paying it :D
Awww come on, even just a $10 one?

Back