• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Desperate: No start

BlueberryXJGirl

NAXJA Forum User
Ok heres the skinny on my car.
It cut off on me on the highway, seems like it wasnt getting any fuel because when I pressed down on the gas nothing happened. I took it to PepBoys at my parents request and they said it was a relay. Now I had told them to check the fuel line and the injectors and all, they said it wouldnt be that, put in the $500 relay and said "it starts" and gave it back. Got it home, worked for a few days and now its not running again. Basically what was happening up till it stopped running again was the same thing, I would press on the gas and it would hesitate. Now it wants to turn over but its like it just can't get there. No fuel going anywhere. I really need this fixed, any suggestions or help anyone can provide? Thanks SO much!

Take it back to Pep Boys and make them fix it. Make them look at the CPS.

They said that theres a computer problem now and they won't touch it again. They are being really obnoxious to me about it and Ive been nice. I just want my car fixed, and they said what they did fixed it and thats all they can do.
On top of that though, my friend had a GMC too and basically had the same problem with it, and got the same run around about it. Then finally found out it WAS the fuel line, had to replace the entire thing, after she spent $1000 in a shop like PepBoys
I mean Im not 100% sure its the fuel line but thats why Im on here asking around, I want opinions or any help I can get!!!

A $500 relay?? damn.....Glad I'm not living in VA

Fuel problems can be touchy to diagnose. First thing I would do is put a pressure tester on the injection rail...you should have a Schraeder valve on there. If you're getting the right amount of pressure (31 PSI with regulator plugged into vac., 40 with it unplugged), you should be able to rule out everything behind the regulator (fuel pump, filters, lines, etc.)

If you're getting a no-spark situation, I would check the CPS. That seems to be a common problem.....

I would also stay away from Pep-Boys. I've had a bad experience with them in the past too, and now I avoid them. Check with your Jeep dealer. Here in IN, they will charge $80 for a diagnosis....and they're usually better.

What year/model/motor do you have?? It may help with the ol' internet diagnosis....

Is the check engine light going on? We need the details about your jeep ie engine, tranny, year, etc. If it's a computer problem it shold throw a code and that gives you a place to start but again, we need some more details.

Yeah, a bad CPS causes crazy stuff to start happening.

X2 on staying FAR FAR FAR away from Pep-Boys. Anybody who can hold a wrench in their hand can work there. I wouldn't trust them to put wiper blades on my vehicle. Plus, in my experience, they have always been a-holes.

Oh yeah, I think you might have been hornswaggled on the relay.

its a 94 Jeep Cherokee 2x4 with a 6V
The check engine light is not on
Everyone is saying to stay away from the dealership here...they said they're horrible to deal with, even worse than PepBoys or anywhere like that
I replaced the fuel filter on it like 2 weeks ago and it seemed to run a bit better for a week and then it started acting like it used to.
They said that the computer was messed up, and they dont do computer problems so I had to take it to a specialty shop but around here those a few and far between.

Oh and I know about PepBoys but thats where my parents told me they wanted me to take the car since they are paying for the repair. I am SO pissed at them now though because they were total A**holes to me and didn't want to listen to a girl tell them it was probably the fuel line because of the past experiences with the SAME problem on another car. And when I get the issue fixed I will be disputing the work PepBoys did on the car saying that what they did didn't fix the car and they basically f***ed me over

sounds like possibly the fuel pump.
like other poster said itll have to be diagnosed a the fuel rail.
and get dad involved with pep boys to get your money back find out what relay it was and see how much it really costs at another parts place to see if they are really over charging you. they should at least price match it they prolly wont give your money back since you have the part and cant return it since its electrical part.
curious, what was the actual name for the part and where was it located?
just take it to a local repair shop

BlueberryXJGirl said:
its a 94 Jeep Cherokee 2x4 with a 6V
The check engine light is not on
Everyone is saying to stay away from the dealership here...they said they're horrible to deal with, even worse than PepBoys or anywhere like that
I replaced the fuel filter on it like 2 weeks ago and it seemed to run a bit better for a week and then it started acting like it used to.
They said that the computer was messed up, and they dont do computer problems so I had to take it to a specialty shop but around here those a few and far between.

Will your parents let you do any work at home?? I would check for fuel pressure (described above) and spark (pull a plug, put the wire back on and hold it against a ground. Have someone crank the motor, and watch for the spark. Very careful, tho....spark plugs bite hard)

I'm still leaning towards a CPS problem, or fuel issue. The fuel pressure tester will tell you a lot. And from what I've heard, a dead CPS will cause a no-spark situation. I've not personally dealt with it, couldn't tell ya for sure.

I think its the fuel pump too
Id just freaking buy a pump and get someone to put it in at my house if I knew anyone that would. I mean shit I'd provide beer and dinner or something!!! And I can cook! And honestly I'd even put the pump in myself if I wasn't worried about the whole thing blowing up in my face >.<
It was the Mass something Relay, I don't remember the exact name and my dad has the paperwork.
I have one shop that Im gonna try and take it to, its a local shop (sorta local) and they said that they would see if my suggestions would have any weight on what was wrong with the car. I will definetly tell them that it may be the CPS or the Fuel Pump
I really just want the correct fix and save my parents some money and get it as inexpensive as possible. I feel horrible that its cost as much as it has already!!!

I wish I had someone to help me just do it at home because my parents would let me work on it at their house or I could really even just do it outside on my street or in my backyard at my place. I just need someone who would be willing to come over and help me!!!

Just take a deep breath...

On the Pep Boys Invoice (repair order) it will say exactly what the part was they replaced and should even have a part number. Tell us exactly what that part and # is.

To check the fuel pump, just go to the gas tank and put your head under to listen for a brief whining noise while someone turns the key to RUN, not START. The pump should prime for a few seconds, if no noise is heard then you can be sure it's fuel related.

Get us that part #! Help us help you.

Slo-Sho said:
Just take a deep breath...

On the Pep Boys Invoice (repair order) it will say exactly what the part was they replaced and should even have a part number. Tell us exactly what that part and # is.

To check the fuel pump, just go to the gas tank and put your head under to listen for a brief whining noise while someone turns the key to RUN, not START. The pump should prime for a few seconds, if no noise is heard then you can be sure it's fuel related.

Get us that part #! Help us help you.

I don't have the paperwork on me and I asked my dad but he doesnt have the paperwork with him at his job. So basically getting that info to you guys right now isn't really gonna work :-( I will as soon as I can though.

And no one is here to run the car while i check...so basically I am alone here at the moment...it sucks!!!

Hahaha Im trying to
But its really hard to right now
Been over a week since all this stuff started
And I have a lot I need to do, and it involves driving
So I really need to get this all sorted out
Its hard to get a job without a car >.<

like stated before check the spark, also take the top off your cap off and check the rotor, mine was all corroded a while back and scraped it with a screw driver and works great, another thing is to check the fuel rail for some reason the rubber o-ring in there on mine keeps popping off and cloggs the rail enough for it to either not run or run horribly.. and of course check your battery(and cables) my cables were so bad it wouldnt hold a charge(but only sometimes.??)

is it a Jeep or GM column?
If Jeep check the ignition switch, same happened to me. It would cut out going down the highway, then a few minutes later start right backup. replaced the switch, ran just fine.
It just seems that after 5-6 months it has gone out again!... I hate this damned thing.

Back