• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do ya spose 7/8" is thick enough???

Hypoid

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I had the opportunity to try out my stock tow hooks recently. Although they saved the day for me, it was a pain to keep re-hooking them everytime the strap went slack. So I got to thinking I could take some of the 7/8" plate I have setting around and cut eyes to bolt to the factory bracket, maybe bend a little kick to angle them down.

So do ya spose 7/8" will be thick enough? I know the price is right...if they hold.

IMG_1355.jpg

or you could just put some keeps on the hooks.

G_14393G_SW_1.jpg

that piece of tin is all you need.they can be a bit of a pain but they do their job and keep the strap from falling off

Or you could go with a Detours Backbone. I have one without the winch plate, and then cut the bumper to fit back over it. Call Mark, 203-315-8111.

It has served me well many times and is not tht expensive. You can build a bumper around it if you like.
backbone7qw4.jpg

P1010049-1.jpg

Badger has the easiest most cost effective idea, those clips are cheap and they work. Back to your initial question, 7/8" is plenty thick if you want to take the time to build the new brackets. Remember that if you add that addition 7/8" to get new longer bolts as well.

Now that looks cool! Have more pics? How thick is it?

I get assorted scraps of steel from work, no cost. I have access to torches and welders and stuff, call it practice. That's the right price.

XJ&TJ4ME said:
Remember that if you add that addition 7/8" to get new longer bolts as well.
I was planning on removing the hooks all-together.

Last edited:
Here is a pic before it went on. I think the side plates are 3/4". After some research I ended up not using those shackles, the screw pin type are much heavier duty.

edit; the shackle plates are 3/4", the side plates are 3/8" (I think!)

backbone1vt9.jpg

Wow, the frame mounts are thinner. How thick, 1/4"? Are they unitized with the tabs on the front?

Hypoid said:
Wow, the frame mounts are thinner. How thick, 1/4"? Are they unitized with the tabs on the front?

Mark could answer those Q's, I'm not a big time fabber so i don't know. But I can tell you everything that he makes is plenty HD. The only things I have fabbed so far are my 2x4x3/16 sliders and my adjustable rear bumpstops. Both of those are easy and basic. For the recovery I left it to the pro's.

Back when I ran a stock bumper, I fabbed a couple of hook relocation brackets that bolted to the factory mounts and rotated the hooks 90*. This put them on a horizontal plane, which kept the strap from falling off. I used a couple of pieces of 2" x 2" x 1/4" thick angle and drilled holes to match the hook mounting holes on both sides. Bolt the angle to the brackets, then the hooks to the angle. I had a few hard tugs with them and never had a bending issue, IMO 7/8" thick would be overkill x 2.

A few years back I made some brackets for a D ring clevis that bolt up to the stock tow hook location. I think Rusty's saw my stuff and copied it. They now sell something similar to what I made.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Tim_MN said:
A few years back I made some brackets for a D ring clevis that bolt up to the stock tow hook location.

Them puppies are sweet. I wish I knew about those before I bought and installed my factory hooks. Dang. Should have researched it more.

Back