• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to put chevy 3/4 ton axles under xj/mj

n8munn24

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 Jeep Comanche, wanted to know how one would go about putting a dana44(passenger side) front and a 14 bolt rear in my jeep. I know how to do the rear, but for the front will it work if i use a new t case or would a be better off just finding an axle that has a driver side drop and keep my np231? Thanks

rehab said:
search for vetteboy's rig. he used a dana 300 and chevy 60 up front with a 14 bolt rear.

Dodge 60. :D

And you can use a new t-case, but plan on remodeling your entire interior, suspension, and exhaust at the same time.

You can use a new transfer case, if you can find one with a Pax drop (or get a Dana 300 and a flip kit.) Be ready to "massage" the transmission tunnel, tho...

However, a driver's drop D44 shouldn't be that hard to find - I think they can be found under early U-100 Broncos, IHC Scouts (and Travelalls?) and some earlier Ford trucks.

Failing that, you can always get your front 44 re-tubed, but I've no particular idea what it would cost (probably be as simple as reversing the tubes, but you do not want to flip the axle over! Housings are designed to run in a certain orientation, and flipping them over will kill lubrication - and your gears, in rather short order...)

5-90 said:
Housings are designed to run in a certain orientation, and flipping them over will kill lubrication - and your gears, in rather short order...)

Well.

I would wager that before any of that happened, your rig would cease to function, because the tires would be turning the wrong way for a standard rotation driveshaft. :rof:

Back