• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone got local buddies that do gear/locker installs?

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for someone to do a regear in my d30/d35 combo, with an ARB install in the front.

Right now I am sitting on $1000ish quote for basic shop pricing on install, which means more money saving and more waiting.

I would be totally open to letting a non-shop person who is knowledgeable do the install for me on the cheap though...if anyone knows anyone local between say Olympia and PDX areas. Right now I am probably sitting on 1/2 of what the shop labor quote is, and waiting sucks. :shhh:

Install would be all new parts.

Just be careful who you trust, and make sure they'll back up their work should something fail from the install. Most of the ARB failures you see (and it seems like I see quite a few) are due to improper install. I'd be tempted to save up and get it done right.

I've paid a few people on the side to do work on my rig, and every time I've had to go get it fixed later at a shop.

-----Matt-----

Yeah it'd have to be someone pretty reputable, chances are I'll end up just waiting for the cash for a shop to do it.

I just don't make much $$ and it's gonna take a couple months to save up. I don't wanna wait! boo!

That reminds me...I need to go to the junkyard and get some brake drums to machine the centers out on.

I always go to KNA offroad in Boring. It is a guy I know that works out of a shop in his backyard, he did my dana 44 rear with lockright and my dana 30 front with the ARB. If you pull the axles apart and bring them into him it will save alot of money, that is what I did. That way there is alot less labor involved, I brought him completely empty axle housings so all he had to do was install the new stuff. He was alot cheaper than anyone else and I know a ton of offroad & car people that recomend him. I have not had a problem with my axles do to his work and it has been 3 years. I had my lockright fail, "my fault" and installed some temporary spider gears. My spider gears in the 44 broke which locked up the rear end and removed teeth from the ring gear but that was due to the spider gears not the gear install.

His name is Daryl "is that how you spell it"? number 503-663-6515

He is always very busy so call him ASAP if you are interested!

I couldn't remove my axles, it would have to be installed in the Jeep.

I'll give him a call tonight and see what kinda labor he quotes me. As far as being quick, parts haven't even arrived yet, they were just ordered.

WheelinJR said:
I couldn't remove my axles, it would have to be installed in the Jeep.

I'll give him a call tonight and see what kinda labor he quotes me. As far as being quick, parts haven't even arrived yet, they were just ordered.
You might want to re-consider removing your axles, it will save you hundreds of dollars and they are not hard to take off at all becuase you have the longarm.

yes, but I can't really do it. no garage, no tools...and i have to be without my jeep as short as possible since its my only rig.

the labor isn't really much different from a shops point of view. at least the shops ive talked to.

ideally id like to score another pair of axles and do the build in them, then swap them out, cause then i wouldnt have to give up my jeep at all, but im not spending more money on a set of axles.

WheelinJR said:
the labor isn't really much different from a shops point of view. at least the shops ive talked to.
I know the situation you're in, but it is a big difference in cost every time I've gotten it quoted both ways.

WheelinJR said:
ideally id like to score another pair of axles and do the build in them, then swap them out, cause then i wouldnt have to give up my jeep at all, but im not spending more money on a set of axles.
Honestly, that's what you should do. I wouldn't spend any money regearing a D35. I know I beat the 8.8 drum a lot (no pun intended) but it's a helluva upgrade and gives you disc brakes in the process. If you don't care about the brakes, get a 8.25 (either 27 or 29 spline). Either way, it'll be a huge step up from the D35.

Furthermore if you want to stick with the Turdy-Five, you can probably get a HP D30 and a D35 for almost free (if not totally free) somewhere, have someone regear it, then swap axles and brakes and be done.

Third option is to find someone selling a set of axles already set up. I sold my locked and 4.56 geared D30/8.25 for what the first shop quoted you. ECKSJAY sold his for even less than that, though only one locked axle. In the long run, this makes the most sense.

That all being said, I've never been good at waiting either. ;)

-----Matt-----

I've got a D35 you can have for free. It's just taking up space behind my garage since I swapped in the D44.

IXNAYXJ said:
Honestly, that's what you should do. I wouldn't spend any money regearing a D35. I know I beat the 8.8 drum a lot (no pun intended) but it's a helluva upgrade and gives you disc brakes in the process. If you don't care about the brakes, get a 8.25 (either 27 or 29 spline). Either way, it'll be a huge step up from the D35.

Furthermore if you want to stick with the Turdy-Five, you can probably get a HP D30 and a D35 for almost free (if not totally free) somewhere, have someone regear it, then swap axles and brakes and be done.

Third option is to find someone selling a set of axles already set up. I sold my locked and 4.56 geared D30/8.25 for what the first shop quoted you. ECKSJAY sold his for even less than that, though only one locked axle. In the long run, this makes the most sense.

That all being said, I've never been good at waiting either. ;)

-----Matt-----

I'm one to be more than aware of the various axle options out there and I am not too worried about the Dana 35 right now. Pulling axles really isn't an option for me.

fubar XJ said:
I've got a D35 you can have for free. It's just taking up space behind my garage since I swapped in the D44.

An eight hour round trip to Seattle and back in an XJ on 33's is hardly free, haha! Hell that'd probably cost me $100 easy.

$100 isn't bad. It's almost free. What if I have the wife cook you dinner and I buy the beer?

But seriously, there have got to be some XJ guys in your area that have swapped out their stock axles and have them sitting around taking up space. You should be able to get these for next to nothing.

Yeah, Rod (mojojojo) has one, but I'd much rather put any cash into the fund for just having the shop do the install, ya know?

On top of that, if I were willing to travel that much, I'd go up to Everett and have KarlVP do the install because he made me one hell of a nice offer on it. I just don't want to make that trip, I do bad driving at night alone, I get drowsy and have a hard time seeing.

IXNAYXJ said:
ECKSJAY sold his for even less than that, though only one locked axle. In the long run, this makes the most sense.

FWIW, the rear axle in reference here was done this way with 4.56 gears installed already. Also FWIW, the rear sold super cheap due to the amount of miles *I* put on it *and* the fact that an Accord(ian) hit it at 30MPH+. While inspected as best as possible, there were no guarantees of it being perfectly straight...

The front was the original, 4.56 gear professionally installed, newer ball joints, and newer brakes with a Lock Right. IIRC, the negotiated price on that was around $350. The guy who bought both axles waved cash and wanted a ton of parts off the old rig, so I can't remember exactly what the amount was. ;)

Used axles can be a good way to go if you know the history on them. Heck, my current set was purchased that way. :cheers:

IXNAYXJ said:
Mine too. :)

I wasn't sure why you sold your old axles so cheap, but it makes sense now.

-----Matt-----

Liquidation. :cheers:

It's amazing how much money I was able to come up with in such a short amount of time. :D:D:D In all, I got a very fair amount back on my Jeep with an initial buyback of only like $450. Farmers took very good care of me and was extremely fair on their assessment of the rig. :)

But I digress. JR, if you're not sure then just stick with a pro install. Something about a warranty from a reputable shop is worth the extra dough...

ECKSJAY said:
But I digress. JR, if you're not sure then just stick with a pro install. Something about a warranty from a reputable shop is worth the extra dough...

Heard that. :explosion

I think that's what is gonna happen. Doesn't hurt to explore other options though. At least in the meantime I'll have a pile of parts to stare at and get pissed off at again.

I know you've heard this a million times Jason, but I wouldn't put a dime in a turdy-five. I think locating a 8.25 would be a good step up, and not cost you much. It may even be slightly cheaper with the cost difference of bringing just the housing to the shop.

-Jeremy

Back