• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heater ?? for the guru's

kymtnman

NAXJA Forum User
here goes. i purchesed this 97 back in june, the prob started 3 weeks ago when it got cold enough to tun the heat.. theres plenty of air flow,[out of all vents depending on whats selected]. the prob. is its just not HOT,,just warm sorta like out of a home heatpump sys. it will keep you from freezing to death but thats about it. the stat is a 195 there is flow through the heater hoses, they are the same temp as the rad.hoses. i took the control panel off & checked the movement of the heat control flap.. is got full stroke open to close..I talked with a guy at work he said his 98 was the same.is this normal?? if so then going with a cherokee over all my past cj's for a warm winter ride was not a good decision..i had a 93 last winter & it would run you out of it,nice hot air from defrost, heat, or dash ... ..any help with this or any remedies the long time people have done would be greatly appreciated...its a 97. 4.0 w/ac & 5 speed & i changed the stat sun. 195 with no change

I'd flush out the heater core and see what happens.

Hale

What brand thermostat are you using?

AutoZone thermostats generally gave me luke warm heat, while Stant or OEM thermostats were the best (running an OEM now)

But besides that, flush the heater core. Do you havea 50/50 coolant/water mixture as well?

yes its been flushed, the stat was from napa, its a 195 same as old 1 they told me 195 was correct for this year but they had them from 160-210 what is the correct temp stat for a 97? i dont know the engine temp mine is running, it has idiot lights

Blaine B. said:
195 is correct.

Is there anyway you can verify engine temps with a laser thermometer or something?

That's where I'd go first - take readings on the hoses, compare them to the radiator hoses.

When you flushed the heater core, how did you do it? Water flush only? The heater core only? It doesn't take much internal crud to kill the efficiency of a heat exchanger, which is why I'm asking.

Also, if you flushed the system using a chemical of some variety, you get better results doing so with the heater full on (I don't recall when the heater control valve was deleted, so it's a good habit.)

Also, if you have a heater control valve, make sure it's not stuck shut. It can usually be eliminated outright with little mechanical difficulty (the main reason for it is to keep your aircon from working too hard - if you don't have coolant flowing through the heater core, you don't have as much heat in the plenum, which makes things easier on the aircon.)

i dont have access to a temp gun or anything like that, i know the 93 i had last yr. had the valve in the heater hose you spoke of, but unless its some where internal in the hvac box the 97 i have now does not have one , BOTH heater hoses seem to be the same temp as the rad. hoses using the old " how long can i hold this hot hose method"... when i bought the jeep the prev. owner said he had overheating issues in 06 but that it was the rad.he changed it & i rode it from june to now in 90 + temps offroad with the ac on & had not had it overheat. im working 12hr shifts til sat. ill buy another flush kit this weekend
thanks for the input ill post back up after that

Back