• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want you tire opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

banderso

NAXJA Forum User
Searching I have found a lot of positive comments about the trxus m/t and no negative ones. The BFG m/t has also gotten consistently good comments, however it's significantly more expensive right? I am looking for comments on tires you run, have run, or have seen run. Everyone runs tires and it seems like there must be more info and opinions than the search turned, so please share your comments on various tires. It would be great to hear what people like and dislike about a bunch of mud tires. The reason I ask is because I am trying to pick a tire that does well in oregon both on road and offroad. Thanks.

I heard a lot of good things and bad about Baja Claws. It was about 50/50. I got some cheap (pretty much brand new) and love them. I only drive them on the street when heading to a trail. Their pretty noisy but I do have my windows down. They work pretty damn well in the dirt. Snow they kinda suck. My best friend had boggers and loved them. They scared the hell out of me because they have no side grip. He'd slide sidways all the time even when stopped on a slope. He trailored his rig but they are HORRIBLE on the street. Also, now he's running 36" IROKS. He loves them and is disappointed with them at the same time. Nobody he wheels with now can keep up with him, and they grip EVERYTHING. They literally have scoops in the front of the lug like a spoon or an ice cream scoop. It's crazy. With the boggers he'd spin the tires in a tight turn and whip the backend wide around a tree or root. He can't do that with the IROKS. Kinda long, but hope it helps.

Trxus MT is a great tire in everything but snow where it is a good tire. Downside it they are a heavy mofo. I like mine and would consider another set.

BFG MT is a pretty good tire all around and especially good for the environment we have here in the NW. They do decent on the rocks and handle mud and snow great. They are also a wonderful tire on the road. Downside is they cost an arm and a leg and the sidewalls could stand to be a bit tuffer. If I was wanting a tire like the BFG MT I'd spend half the money on a set of Kumho Mud Ventures which are basically a copy.

Avoid any AT tire if you want to wheel in the winter at all.

Thanks for the replies. It is good to know that the trxus is heavy because that was one of my concerns. The Kumhos look like a great suggestion, I can't find any negative reviews. In some pictures they look less aggressive than the dunlop mud rovers which is what I had on my other jeep. Is that true? Anyway, thanks and keep the opinions coming.

banderso said:
Thanks for the replies. It is good to know that the trxus is heavy because that was one of my concerns. The Kumhos look like a great suggestion, I can't find any negative reviews. In some pictures they look less aggressive than the dunlop mud rovers which is what I had on my other jeep. Is that true? Anyway, thanks and keep the opinions coming.

Ive got 31X10.50 Trxus's and on a 15X8 steel wheel. I would guess they weigh 70-80lbs. each? I could be wrong though. Ill give them a good test this weekend, hopefully. Like them so far.

I also had the BFG MT's, and they were great as well. Just more expensive.

I didn't think my BFG MT's were that much more expensive. But after watching Hans float up a snowy hill and my eventually ending off a snowy hill, I will probably switch to Truxus. In the Fall, I will probably get my BFG's siped, before we go up for the snow runs.

Jason

This topic has more information than anything else on line. And you will get the most diverse opinions from people.

In order to recommend ANY tires, we need to understand where you use it, what vehicle (I assume a XJ) and how many miles on and off road.

This has been beat to death but here are the basics for a multip purpose tire:
1. Truxus (neg. weight, and balance issues after 1/2 tread)
2. BFG MT (neg. sipe if useing them in snow or ice)
3. Anything else (everyone has their specific likes)

If you want a on/off road tire keep away from the speciallty tires like Crawlers, Iroks, Boggers, baja claws, etc, etc. They will do good in specific applications but not as a general all around tire.

Michael

I did see the thread you pointed to, but thanks for digging that up anyway. In fact, that is one of the threads that got me thinking about the Trxus in the first place. I do have a couple of other questions not answered in the thread, like what kind of mileage to expect from those tires. I know mileage can vary, but a Les Schwab manager told me not to expect 30k because he had replaced a pair after 14k. That seems awful low to me. If anyone has worn a set of these out, about how long did it take? I am also interested in not-so-obvious suggestions, like the Kumhos. And as far as what type of driving I do, with my CJ the majority of my miles were driving back and forth to trails. I expect to do about the same with the Cherokee and am willing to sacrifice a some on road comfort for off-road grip. Anyway, thanks, I'm sure it feels like this has been gone over a million times and I appreciate your time because this is an expensive decision for me.

Yea my truxus will NOT wear out. I want to move up to 33" to hang with the cool kids:cool: , but can't justify it till I wear these out. I have 35k on them and atleast 50% tread left.:smsoap: I love them, the ONLY drawback is I have a balance "issue" on two of my tires. So I moved them to the rear and have no problems. Most who have wheeled with me will attest to their stickiness and ability to take me where my driving skills won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back