• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ACOS or Longer Coil??

profonde

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

We are building a new race car (More like Jeepspeed, fast stuff). We have new ideas after we saw ACOS PRO. The product seems very practical since it also has a hydraulic bumpstop.
We used to have 3" RE front coil in olur old race car.
Here is the question.... If we use stock coils together with ACOS PRO to lift the car do you think the car will suffer from wheel travel?? (Up travel mostly)
We used to have 6.5" of up travel with the RE 3" coil..Do you think the stock coil will reach its preset value?? Any other advantages of using an ACOS rather than a coil that i dont know?

Thanks...

I would get a larger coil and seperate hydro bumpstops.

Stock spring is way too soft to drive at speed on uneven anything cuz you will bottom out easily. Trustme, I could not afford to buy a lift yet but had access to a set of acos and gained 3" and great articulation with sway disconnected. Another thing is that I had to adjust the spacer an inch in the past year and a half to maintain the 3", so sag is a big problem of over compressing stock coils. I can't wait till I can get a set of RE 3.5" coils to set it right. ACOS and stock coils for speed on dirt is a bad choice in my opinion, as I feel my stockers will crack and pop on me soon, especially when I haul a$$ on flat graded desert roads and feel and hear the coils vibrate and resonate to a point they clack at times against the top of the sway links when connected.

My question is??? Are you building for jeepspeed? If not why would anyone want to use stock coils. Ok ya if thats all you have but.....Im not for sure, so dont quote me on this. Im pretty sure Jeep wasnt thinking about there cherokees doing desert races with those springs. Let alone were they thinking we would do half of the crap we do to are jeeps now.

Reason being i don't like the idea of high speed and spacers, as well as old coils. 3 inch Coils can be had for 90 bucks. Also the ACOS pro is 750 bucks. Waste of $$ imo. Fox makes hydro bumpstops for 175 + 100 for coils = 275 vs 750. And you get new coils and piece of mind.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/product.php?productid=63

Well yeah the kind of racing we are doing is closer to rallying than Jeepspeed, we mostly use forest stages to race, and shorter durations.
Having the luxury to changing the height for different races would have been great with acos but since you guys insist on using a longer coil i should choose that route....

I didnt insist on just using a longer coil. These coils are thicker and made for what your doing. The ACOS is a great install for racing. Do you need the pro?
Or if your just looking for Adjusting your highth go with ACOS without the Bump stop for around 200 Bucks. STOCK SPRINGS SUCK thats all

It is nice to be able to adjust, but I'll tell you, it takes raising the front up off the tires and using coil spring compressors to relieve the pressure off the ACOS to be able to turn the adjusters at the 3" range on the spacer. PITA IMHO not too much of a luxury, but better than nothing though. Not to mention the added stress and extra strain leverage the ACOS puts on the bump stop spring purch area by placing the top of the spring lower down the bump stop body without some extra reinforcing on that area.
As you can tell, I really want to go full RE 3.5" spring (the right way) before I crack something.

I have the ACOS without the hydro bump stop, with stock springs, and it does suck. Good luck on what you choose, and do concider the RE 3.5 coils, and the $175 hydro bump stops. Around $275 is better than $750 for the hydro ACOS. You could use the savings on a good set of rear spring packs and a full tank to test it all out when your done.

Last edited:
Your springs are the problem and like almost all aftermarket springs they are too soft. I had a regular acos and 3" springs and it sucked. I bought the heavy valved Bilstein 5150's and it still sucked. I did some reasearch and got ahold of the dude at Deaver springs that knows jeepspeed. He sold me a 5.5" race spring and I cut off 2 coils off it. It sits on just the base of my old acos. No adjuster ring on the acos. It's absolutly a majical ride now. I used large rubber mallet heads from harbor freight for lower bumpstops and have never felt it bottom out. It easily flexes to the bumpstop on the trail so I'm getting full flex but if I hual ass on the bumps it floats like a butterfly. No kidding. Call Deaver spring and tell them you want the lightest spring a jeepspeed guy would run and cut to whatever height you need. I'll try to find the part # of the spring I used tonight.
Here is a video of last weekend. I had to keep my momentum because of an uphill snow climb. The rocks are buried in snow but most were bowling ball size and a few were about 12-14" high. Look how smooth the ride inside is. It's the second video: the first one shows the ride height from the side on 35's.
http://www.rmftc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=49936&postcount=91

Last edited:
My old race cars rear leafs were from deaver. The company is great to work with..very good customer service
They re shape the jeepspeed for my application so that it give 3.5" of lift but not 5.5" i think they can cut the front spring for me??..
The part no would be helpfull..

CSC9B $196.24 pair
Deaver 714-542-3703
They are simple to cut with a cut-off wheel or die grinder.

profonde said:
How did it end up after after cutting??like 3.5" ??
The coils rate would raised a bit also i guess..
It won't raise the rate much because the bottom few coils are wound tight to be progressive. So you are just cutting some of the progressive part off. I would say it gave 4 plus inches of lift and with half the acos because the adjuster ring is off that probably adds a half inch. so I have 4,5" total lift. The best thing would be to cut maybe 1 coil and keep cutting untill you reach the desired height. Thats how I did it and wound up with 2 full wraps cut off. If you don't run the acos like I did then 1 coil wuld give you about 5". I could measure the actuall ride height with the winch on but where from?
Also make sure you read this thread.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25592

Back