• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tight transfercase

Steve F

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled the tcase (NP242) as it pops out of all 4WD modes under load and have another to go in. After draining the oil and putting them side by side I did some comparisons. The one I pulled from the Jeep is very stiff to turn even in neutral (oil all drained etc) where as the replacement spins freely and will freewheel when I spin the output shaft. This is the same in all modes of 4WD and 2WD etc.

Which is normal? I'm assuming it should spin easily and the tight one could be due to something being bent in there?? Anyone else have any experience with this?

Cheers
Steve

I would think that a smooth, free spinning shaft would be what you want. It sounds like you have bad/seized up bearings and/or something bent in the other one.

This is just my thoughts, I really don't know much about T-cases, besides what they do.

Back