• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear fender choppin'

mudslinger4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so here it is. I have a 3" Skyjacker lift with 1.5" Teraflex spacers. i was previously running 32's with the stock fenders. i decided i wanted a little bigger so i just trimmed the front as high as the flares were located and the rear up to the pinch welds. today i bought a set of 33x12.50" boggers and thought that i might have trouble fitting them under the rear and they might start to rub so what i decided to do was cut a line between the pinch welds on either corner and folded the sides under and riveted it into place. i got about another inch of clearance out of it. has anyone else done this? if so how did you do it?

sounds like you just need more lift!!!!!!!!

mudslinger4x4 said:
yea after i put my system in the rear is saggin so i was gonna go with 1" block. nothin big. just enough to help it out

that should tell you one of two things...
too much system or not enough spring.

no blocks....just longer shackles our add a leafs

I would go with longer shackles LONG before ever going with blocks. There were 2" block on a Jeep that I bought and the axle wrap was quite annoying.

You could go with U-bolt eliminators. They give you a little extra lift like a block only they are more stable.

Yep, but I welded mine back up.

4.5'' of lift on stock fenders:
croped.jpg

4.5'' of lift on cut fenders:
CindysBday014.jpg

~6'' of lift on 35s.
Picture039.jpg

holy hell thats alot of trimming lol Nice 2 door. I have 33x13.5 with 4.5 and mine just barely rubs with i guess i would call light trimming
0902071445gt0.jpg

trimming flat
1025071442po1.jpg

just about at full flex (no bumpstops)

yea i haven't bumpstopped anything yet. i really don't care about welding it because it's not really a show rig and they're staying in place as they are without riveting so i'm keeping them like that. i just put on my new 33x12.5" boggers and now you can't even tell that the rear was even sagging. plus i prolly didn't even have to do anything with the rear fender because they prolly would've fit just as it was but o well. i don't really do rock crawling or any of that shit. i stick mainly to mudding, but occasionally i have to climb over small rocks to get to the pits so i'm not worried about rubbing for that instant. i'll post pics later of what she looks like.

with fender trimming
100_0480.jpg

rear fender folded (the scuff marks on the inner fender were made when i had 32's with stock rims flexing and the lines are from a pressure washer)
100_0481.jpg

flexing on about a 2 ft. wall with both swaybars still attached
100_0483.jpg

mudslinger4x4 said:
with fender trimming
100_0480.jpg

rear fender folded (the scuff marks on the inner fender were made when i had 32's with stock rims flexing and the lines are from a pressure washer)
100_0481.jpg

flexing on about a 2 ft. wall with both swaybars still attached
100_0483.jpg

What are all the wheel weights for??? seems like a lot!! If a wheel calls for more than 4.5 oz we will break the bead and srpin the tire on the rim and rebalance. Those wrap almost halfway around your rim!!

all the other weights except for the front two tires have around 4.5 oz or less. the front left has the most with 11.5 oz. boggers are almost impossible to balance. i bought the tires already mounted on the rim so i'm bringin them to my mechanic shortly to have them rebalanced and realigned just in case.

I took more the 4" out of my rear.

Cut the quater out, Bent up the inner and tacked the seam. Had to cut reliefs to fold it up and patch in the inner.
My TJ flares now are at the top of my fender.

i didnt cut past the pinch seam.

why?

inverted springs die quickly

my bumpstops hit when my springs are flat (maybe even slightly inverted) and my tires just begin to graze my fender.

i also run a 1.5" shackle so that bring my point of inversion at less compression than most, but the benefits are droop and ride quality.

IMG_0223.jpg

Last edited:
lowrange2 said:
Gah! Looks like you cut that in the dark with a butter knife with your eyes closed... but I suppose it serves the purpose... :)

PS: theres a boat in the drive thru!
I might be a bit biased, but they dont look that bad in person. The fenders were basically the first welding I had ever done, so that shows a bit. This Jeep is obviously not a show Jeep, so looks, while semi important, are the major thought when doing a modification.

The most important thing for me was getting the tires to not hit the fenders so much. This is with ~6'' of lift and 35s with the cut and fold method. Didnt work so well.
Picture091.jpg

Heres ~6'' of lift and 35s with the cut and fold and reweld method. Much better.
P1010764.jpg

Back