• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear main help for stupid?

pataterchip

NAXJA Forum User
I have never changed a rear main seal and am pretty sure that it is the problem (will changed VC gasket first to make sure) couple of quistions,

I have an 88 with 6" rustys long arm w/ rustys tranny mount and cross member, 231 tcase/SYE, a few other things that shouldn't matter.

?1. Where is the rear main seal located exactly (have a general idea but need specifics)?
?2. What do I have to take off to get to it?
?3. Is a brass punch all that is needed to remove it?
?4. about how long will this take ie... an afternoon or like 1-2 days.
?5. would the massive amount of blowby caused this seal to leak?

I have read all the threads on rear main's and on blowby, Have a good place to start on the blowby but at a loss with the seal. I am fairly mechanical but have not been inside and engine before.
Answer 1 or all any help would be great.

pataterchip said:
I have never changed a rear main seal and am pretty sure that it is the problem (will changed VC gasket first to make sure) couple of quistions,

I have an 88 with 6" rustys long arm w/ rustys tranny mount and cross member, 231 tcase/SYE, a few other things that shouldn't matter.

?1. Where is the rear main seal located exactly (have a general idea but need specifics)?
?2. What do I have to take off to get to it?
?3. Is a brass punch all that is needed to remove it?
?4. about how long will this take ie... an afternoon or like 1-2 days.
?5. would the massive amount of blowby caused this seal to leak?

I have read all the threads on rear main's and on blowby, Have a good place to start on the blowby but at a loss with the seal. I am fairly mechanical but have not been inside and engine before.
Answer 1 or all any help would be great.

1. drop the pan
2. drop the bearing cap support
3. drop the last bearing cap
4. use a punch to get the seal removal started then use pliers to pull it all the way out
5. reassemble in reverse order

It should take about copule hours to get it done, and get yourself a one piece gasket to install on the pan.

Oh yeah.. if you search there is a nice writeup about this here someplace.

Back