• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear vendors over/under drive

97XJ2

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know of anyone thats done this mod. The Gear Vendors over/underdrive. And for those of you unfamiliar this is a two speed gear box that would bolt onto the back of the transmission/ t-case (in our situation). This would effectivly turn our trannys into an eight-speed, and would only be good with 2wd, and enhancing highway mpg etc. anyone done this or thinks its feasable?

97XJ2 said:
Does anyone know of anyone thats done this mod. The Gear Vendors over/underdrive. And for those of you unfamiliar this is a two speed gear box that would bolt onto the back of the transmission/ t-case (in our situation). This would effectivly turn our trannys into an eight-speed, and would only be good with 2wd, and enhancing highway mpg etc. anyone done this or thinks its feasable?

Are you sure about the "2WD Only?" Seems to me I've got a tickle in the back of my head about that thing going in between the transmission and transfer case - making it useful in all ranges (but you have to replace both driveshafts...)

Not worth the money, especially on a rig that doesn't do heavy towing. Have you priced those things?

no i hadnt priced one. i also enjoy hot rods too, and i know they get used a bit with cars, just wondering if it were feasible to use on the jeep. that and i guess it could be used between t-case and tranny but i think it would be a pain to relocate the crossmember, my main motive for the question was gaining highway mpg

97XJ2 said:
no i hadnt priced one. i also enjoy hot rods too, and i know they get used a bit with cars, just wondering if it were feasible to use on the jeep. that and i guess it could be used between t-case and tranny but i think it would be a pain to relocate the crossmember, my main motive for the question was gaining highway mpg

You wouldn't have to relocate the crossmember - the transmission mount doesn't move. The transfer case moves back a few inches - I'd think about building a heavier crossmember, but I don't see any need to move it.

The cases are spendy, tho, and really only of any particular advantage of you want to combine "streetable" with "sick axle ratio" (deeper than 5.38:1 with relatively small tyres? I'd have to check...)

Or, as Goatman said, if you do a lot of heavy towing - that's why semi trucks have gear splitters/so damn many gear ranges.

It's an idea, but one that should be considered thoroughly before execution, or you'll spend an awful lot of money to no end...

yup well asking was part of the consideration

I've driven an F250 with one and it does make it more enjoyable to drive and probably increase fuel mileage, but IIRC the owner of the truck I drove said it cost around $4000 out the door for the unit, installed, with driveline work, etc.

Chris

Back