• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking inot buying a broken Grand Cherokee

funvtec

NAXJA Forum User
will it drive if its got a broken transfer case? I'm not to familiar with how it transfers power to the front.

its a 95 and they said it need a a np 231

TIA

um...you mean powers the rear, it's rear wheel drive.

no, it won't drive with a broken case. it will need a case. good thing is, they're cheap (less than $250 used) and plentiful

and it's a 2 or 3 hour job MAX to replace one, so long as it's out of a similar vehicle. you need one with a 23 spline input shaft.

thanks for the quick response, thats what i was thinking. its 600 bucks so i might just pick it up anyways. i was just hoping it would make it to my garage.

I probably has a 242 or 249, get under there an look, if you replace it with a 231 and it was not a 231 in there to begin with be prepared to bring a Driveshaft that will adjust from about 41-43 inches from what I have been reading, maybe a front XJ driveshaft, don't know, never measured one. I've just started getting into them since we got ours a couple weeks ago and that TC changeover was one that stuck in my mind. NAGCA.com has some postings on the subject.

Back