• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

messed up front axle

vozo112

NAXJA Forum User
hi, i'm fairly new to the xj scene. i bought mine about three months ago and i did my first 4.5" lift. my xj has that (rough country) with 32x12.5x15 inch tires. i was driving down the road today and all of a sudden BOOM. there was a loud boom and then rattling and grinding. i pulled over, looked around and there was nothing hanging or out of place so i limped the mile back home. the whole way home it grinded and rattled and was definately coming from the front axle or drive shaft. when i got home (its dark out by now) i checked the u jointsand then disconnected the driveshaft. it definately wasnt eaither. when i jacked the front of the truck up and spun a tire i can here it is defiately coming from the front axle. i dont know if when i spun the tire, that the other tire was suppossed to spin oposite but it didnt. i am mechanically savvy but i dont know squat about axles. if i could get some info and some direction i know i could fix it my self. any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, chris

Sounds like your front end went kaboomy!!!!!!
If your joints are good....time to take the diff cover off
and look at your lovely chunks of metal inside

You can find what you need from pretty much any auto parts store. The question is how much ya want to spend? First you need to find out how much damage was done......ring & pinion, spiders or carrier! Then surf/call around for prices and do not forget a master overhaul kit! Prices vary... R&P $125-225, master overhaul around $100 & carrier & spiders not sure.

Like i said...Time to remove the diff cover

Back