• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dumping tranny fluid?

POLAR_JEEP_04

NAXJA Forum User
if im going down the highway in over-drive in my 97 XJ with an AW4 it dumps tranny fluid on my exhust on the bend around the bell housing if i drop it into 3rd it stops (i can tell because of the smoke) any ideas?

polar_jeep_04 said:
if im going down the highway in over-drive in my 97 XJ with an AW4 it dumps tranny fluid on my exhust on the bend around the bell housing if i drop it into 3rd it stops (i can tell because of the smoke) any ideas?

I'd have to check the line pressures in various ranges - but it sounds like you're losing the front pump seal (behind the torque converter.) You don't have to tear into the transmission to change it, but you do have to dismount the torque converter...

i would say its your rear main engine seal, mine does the same thing once it gets real hot at highway speeds, after a long trip does it drip motor oil? could be the problem as mentioned above^^

polar_jeep_04 said:
If you're sure it's transmission fluid I would almost guarantee you it is the front pump seal. That's the only seal up in that area. If not there is a small possibility it is the lines but I doubt that.

it is not a seal that is failing, it is actually overheating and pouring from the vent/overflow, do a trans service and if you dont already have an aftermarket tranny cooler install one in front of the radiator. the factory cooler in the radiator does a good job of letting the coolant keep your tranny temps high. same thing has happened to me with my aw4, definitley not a seal. because it would do it in all gears. im guessing you have at least a set of 31's and stock gears on your rig as well. a regear would help a lot because your tranny wouldnt be working as hard to turn your tire.

lol just looked at your mod list, if your running those ltbs with stock gears on the road thats defintley what is causing it, but defintley do a trans service and filter change as well

jkilcullen said:
lol just looked at your mod list, if your running those ltbs with stock gears on the road thats defintley what is causing it, but defintley do a trans service and filter change as well

thats what I thought just needed to hear it from somone else. ill be ordering a B&M cooler and gauge tomorrow

about a week after we picked up our xj I was drving from st louis to mizzou and about half way there it was smoking. ended up being the idiot we got it form over filled it and it dumped it out the dip stick when it was hot. also have a buddy's xj that will do the same thing on teh hwy after a day of wheeling. A cooler is a great idea. we ahve done 2 at the heighbors recently, still need to get mine ordered

Back