• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring clamps

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
Got a question about spring clamps. I know how the military-wrap clamps don't really clamp the leaves together - they just stop them from moving sideways.

However, is there any downside to using spring clamps that actually CLAMP the leaves together?

Like a u |_| with a plate on top that you tighten down.

It might seem it wouldn't let the leaves flex or "shift" backwards and forwards....

But is there a downside?

I'm running Rusty's leaves. There's a front and rear military wrap clamp.

However for the smallest leaf on the bottom, there are no clamps. I was having this leaf shift sideways, so I picked up two sets of leaf clamps from AutoZone (like the type I mentioned) and put one on on either side of the spring perch on the leafs about 8" away from the perch.

I'm not sure if my ride changed at all, considering I removed one of my rear shocks due to the upper mount breaking.

Let me know what you think about these "clamps." Thanks!

I wouldnt think so, since its just doing the same thing your center pin does, just on a broader scale. B/c of your center pin, your leaves shouldnt be flexing that much forward and back....

Ive always been told by those who know that the "U" type clamps that are riveted to the underside of the spring and are not tightened down to the tops of the springs alow more droop than the type that clamps down tight. My OME springs are made with the open type of clamp.

Back