• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Temp Gauge issue

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
This is what my Engine Temperature gauge read the entire way home from college which is a 3 1/2 hr trip and I was doin 75-80 mph. The jeep is a 97 Country Auto 4x4 with 151,XXX miles on it.

Anybody have a clue as to why it is reading like thi? The jeep runs fine except for having an issue with starting I have to give it some gas to get it to start. But all the other gauges read just fine. Not a big issue since it runs fine still its just annoying.

if its not the thermo stat i would check the connection for a gauge, looking at the engine from the front of the jeep its in the back right hand corner of the block, its next to the valve cover

I would say the temp sensor. If there was a stcuk thermostat, it would just take longer to heat up. 3 and a half hours is plenty of time to heat if there was a stuck thermostat.

Have you checked the connection where the wire hooks onto the sender? That would be my first point to check. If that is solid I would replace that sender and see if that solved it. Any other gauges not working properly? If they are working right it has to be either that sender or a partially broken wire somewhere

Its not the thermostat.

1. check the wiring to the water temp sensor on the thermo housing in the front of the block.

2. replace the temp sensor with a NEW one.

3. Make sure there is enough coolant in the system, check it when cold and when its hot.

4. flush your system if you havent done it in a while and replace the thermo with a NEW 195* OEM one.

that should get it going.

All the other gauges ARE working properly. Thats what lead me to believe it was something other than the gauge itself. So I know there is that sensor on the thermostat housing on the front of the block but ya'll are sayin that that isn't the sensor for the gauge? And the sensor for the gauge is at the back of the engine on the driver side? Where exactly? On the head or the block?

THere are two sensors. The one on the thermostat housing is for the computer. The that is located on the back of the cylinder head facing up on the drivers side is for the gauge. If your heat is working fine you more than likely have enough antifreeze in it and the thermostat is working. If your antifreeze doesn't look good its as good as time as any to change it.

xalexjx said:
if its not the thermo stat i would check the connection for a gauge, looking at the engine from the front of the jeep its in the back right hand corner of the block, its next to the valve cover

No, the newer Jeep's only have one sensor.....the one on the thermostat housing. It controls the gauge as well, unlike the older XJ's with multiple sensors for different things.

Is your gas mileage way down? If it was actually running that cold it would be in warm-up mode for your entire drive.

I'd replace the thermostat anyway. Dealership OEM and Stant thermostats are ones I've had luck with. AutoZone thermostats > NO.

MR gasket is also another good alternative, or robert shaw.....etc. Haven't use them but have heard good things.

Replaced the engine temp sensor on the thermostat housing just as suggested and sure enough that fixed the problem haven't had any issues since. Rplacing that sensor even fixed a problem I had been having with the Jeep starting I was having to give it a little throttle in order to get it to start and ever since I replaced the engine temp sensor it hasn't done it and has started up just fine everytime. The best part was that it took me all of ten minutes to replace it it was great!

Back