• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

QUICK Heater Valve Question

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
On my 88, when the plunger is pushed IN, is the hot coolant allowed to go through, or does the heat move through when it is OUT? Which one is it?

Last edited:
I just repaired the vacuum hose going to the valve, some people say they zip tie the plunger arm on the valve because some dont open all the way...

Probably not a bad idea....

However.....

By bypassing, you allow coolant to circulate through the core year round. It'll keep it cleaner and not give it time to stagnate and gunk up in there...

But however, I've heard of F350 guys adding a manual valve because after adding the valve they no longer had to use max A/C. Just because airflow is blocked off from the heatercore when you aren't using heat doesn't mean it won't still warm things up a bit.

So it's kinda debated.....

97 + there is no valve from the factory, however.

If you decide to bypass the vlave, don't forget to plug the grey vacuum line leading to the valve.

My 89 doesn't have a heater water control valve so coolant constantly flows through the core. The XJ gets hot inside, even if the vent is on as there is always air passing through the core. I am thinking next year to put a control valve in.

To an extent yes, but there is radiant heat from the core as there is no insulation between the core and the interior. It's like exhaust heat radiates through the floor and you'll cook if the carpet and insukation is not there.

Plus on an 89, how much of the foam seal on the blend door is still there and functioning.

The heater on my 88xj has provided very little heat the past several winters ( the cabin gets warm after awhile). I still have the control valves inline and thought about by-passing them and installing 2 new hoses directly to the heater core (per the late model xjs).

After reading thispost Im rethinking that idea as Im concerned about heat during the summer months (live in Texas).

Im wondering if perhaps the heater core is just plugged up with gunk being that a continous flow of coolant is not there most of the year and that why so little heat comes off the core when I do need heat.

If thats the case whats the best way to clean out the core? I drain, flush and replace the coolant/anti-freeze on a regular bases (20k) and usually have the heater on when Im doing that. Perhaps I need to pull the hoses and flush out the heater system directly.

Any ideas????

Burrrrrr in Texas!!!!

Lester

http://www.olypen.com/craigh/heater.htm

ptf18 said:
The heater on my 88xj has provided very little heat the past several winters ( the cabin gets warm after awhile). I still have the control valves inline and thought about by-passing them and installing 2 new hoses directly to the heater core (per the late model xjs).

After reading thispost Im rethinking that idea as Im concerned about heat during the summer months (live in Texas).

Im wondering if perhaps the heater core is just plugged up with gunk being that a continous flow of coolant is not there most of the year and that why so little heat comes off the core when I do need heat.

If thats the case whats the best way to clean out the core? I drain, flush and replace the coolant/anti-freeze on a regular bases (20k) and usually have the heater on when Im doing that. Perhaps I need to pull the hoses and flush out the heater system directly.

Any ideas????

Burrrrrr in Texas!!!!

Lester

Back