• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone Had This Happen Before?

TheAlmightySam

NAXJA Forum User
So, I replaced the battery clamps/connectors/whatever on my '92 yesterday, meaning the battery was disconnected for about 10 minutes, give or take. Afterwards, the Jeep would crank and crank and crank, and sort of start, then quickly settle into a very low idle (500 RPM or less), and die. I finally got it going by starting it and holding the throttle to get it to rev to 1500 or so. After a couple minutes, it settled back down and started running correctly.

Is this typical of the OBDI Jeeps? Do their ECMs just kind of freak out when the power is disconnected for a while?

Not sure on the OBD1 Jeeps, but I know that most OBD Dodges have a tendency to "forget" their programming after a dead battery. It normally only takes a few minutes at 1500+ RPMs to make them "relearn", and then they are fine. Hope that helps. Mike

Yes, they do that. It actually is recommended on a lot of FI systems when new parts are installed, upgrades, etc. I wipes the learned memory clean and takes it back to factory default until a full range of new inputs are accepted. It can take up to two weeks for some - temp range, baro, RPM, etc. That way it learns what a bigger throttle body, 21# injectors, high flow cold air intake, and cam do for the new stroker engine, rather than what was.

At least it helps optimize a new TPS or something for the rest of us.

Back