• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

STOP OVER HEATING!!

sWissfoo

NAXJA Forum User
as of right now my xj keeps over heating. what should i do to prevent this bullshit. i have some mods, simply bolt ons. for cooling i have jet thermo. 180*, brx hoses, engine cooler, trans. cooler, flex lite. dual electric fans, flow kooler water pump,use synthetic oils.

When is it overheating? Idle? Freeway? All the time? That will/can determine what is wrong. You list some great mods but no mention of the radiator. What radiator are you running?

Nearly all overheating problems on XJ's are from a deficient radiator. Did it run cool with the electric fans, but now doesn't? Check the radiator.

my xj only has 75,000 on it, im running stock rad. at first everything worked great, but it ran hot even with 180* thermo., i switched thermo. to stock, it seemed to run better, but once i started to get stuck and i beat on it then it would over heat. i went over to the shop today and started it. now i hear this sound coming from the engine its constant but real low sound, i hope its not the engine if i can ill get a vid, ill post it.
STP62427.jpg

STP62428.jpg

thanks for the help

sWissfoo said:
my xj only has 75,000 on it, im running stock rad. at first everything worked great, but it ran hot even with 180* thermo., i switched thermo. to stock, it seemed to run better, but once i started to get stuck and i beat on it then it would over heat. i went over to the shop today and started it. now i hear this sound coming from the engine its constant but real low sound, i hope its not the engine if i can ill get a vid, ill post it.
STP62427.jpg

STP62428.jpg

thanks for the help
There's your problem. The fans work better behind the radiator than they do on top of the motor like that.:laugh:
Sorry couldn't help it. If all else fails check the coolant for hydrocarbons.

corbinafly said:
There's your problem. The fans work better behind the radiator than they do on top of the motor like that.:laugh:
Sorry couldn't help it. If all else fails check the coolant for hydrocarbons.

Man..... i thought he was onto something!:confused1

aftermarket sender? alot of people have had problems with them reading wrong. Get a digital gun and check the temps on the hoses and engine.

How much did the radiator hoses set you back?

The only aftermarket sensor I've heard people having troubles with was the gauge sender at the back of the head.

However, his Jeep doesn't have that, as he has the all in one sensor on the thermostat housing alone. So I doubt that's his issue as well. Unless the sensor IS bad...but. Not likely.

Overheating? Is it actually boiling over, is the temp guage going into the red (make sure you don't have a faulty sender). My '96 used to run hot (would creep into the red but, I never boiled it over) swapped out my 2 row for a 3 row CSF, new fan clutch, high flow 195 deg stat and B&M trans cooler. Now it stays cool even in summer stop and go with the A/C going (pulled the Baker grade (I-15) last summer in 110 deg heat with the A/C on, no problem------Hans

Like I said there is only one sensor, which is on the thermostat housing.....no additional gauge sender.

The gauge on the thermostat housing for 97+ controls the efan, gauge, and tells the PCM the engine temp for fuel mixture.

after replacing all the hoses, fan clutch, and doing a flush, mine still overheated, ended up needing a new radiator. good as new:)

STP61943.jpg

as of right now my guage cluster lights only work, for some reason when i turn over the engine nothing registers. so i cant tell how hot it gets, but when u see smoke comin from the hood and u see coolant goin everywhere its overheating. and yes it was boiling. every time that it overheated i shut it off. i hope it didnt do much damage. i started it today and the nosie was gone, so sweet one problem is gone. most of bolt ons didnt cost that much, only supension and drivetrain cost the most. does anyone know of any good raditors that will work for my 97 xj?

Go for a heavy duty Modine 2 row. The three rows dont work as well at low speeds due to the extra drag through the core when relying mainly on fan draw.
Also what total CFM do those fans pull?
Remember that a colder thermostat will NOT stop over heating. Once a thermostat is fully open, due to conditions, makes no difference at what temp it first did that. It will run better at 195 unless you mod the sensor for the ECU as well. You can do this by adding a 4000 ohm resistor between the CTS wires.

Back