• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Name that axle!!

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
I just got it because it was the purtiest axle at the yard!!
redface.gif
So... is it a polished turd or what?

rearaxle2.jpg

Note the "N"... nodular?
rearaxle1.jpg

rearaxle3.jpg

Came out of a '81 F250 4x4. It's got 30 spline shafts, but large bore spindles. I can't find a BOM or otherwise, but I haven't popped the top yet either.

Thanks,
Billy

35... Give it to me

What size is the pinion nut? if it's 1 7/8ths it's a dana 80.....if not, possibly a dana 70?

Definitely a full-floater (note the ring of screws around the hubs - that retains the shaft to the hub for torque transfer. You can remove the axle shaft simply by unscrewing the screws there...) and probably a 60. The D80 was used in the high-GVWR 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks

You should be able to find a BoM stamped into one of the tubes near the centre section, just so you know.

5-90 said:
Definitely a full-floater (note the ring of screws around the hubs - that retains the shaft to the hub for torque transfer. You can remove the axle shaft simply by unscrewing the screws there...) and probably a 60. The D80 was used in the high-GVWR 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks

You should be able to find a BoM stamped into one of the tubes near the centre section, just so you know.

How can you tell it's not a 61? Do you know what the "N" means? I can't find the bom... but that paint is pretty thick! Maybe after media blasting.
Thanks,
Billy

Honestly, I can't at the moment - but the 61 was introduced for "reasons of fuel economy," as the 60 couldn't handle the lower ratio gearing.

Quick check - I see you still have the diff tag. Clean it off, and see what the ratio is. For the BoM, it is usually on the "cover side" of the axle, on a tube, a few inches out from the chunk. Chuck a wire wheel in your drill motor, and you'll probably find it in about 30 seconds...

5-90 said:
Honestly, I can't at the moment - but the 61 was introduced for "reasons of fuel economy," as the 60 couldn't handle the lower ratio gearing.

Quick check - I see you still have the diff tag. Clean it off, and see what the ratio is. For the BoM, it is usually on the "cover side" of the axle, on a tube, a few inches out from the chunk. Chuck a wire wheel in your drill motor, and you'll probably find it in about 30 seconds...

Yeah, I know if it's got 3.07s it's a 61 :D

I'll probably try the wire wheel tomorrow.

Thanks,
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
Yeah, I know if it's got 3.07s it's a 61 :D

I'll probably try the wire wheel tomorrow.

Thanks,
Billy

I believe the break is 3.54 or lower - if it's 3.54 or (numerically) lower, it's probably a 61. 3.73 or (numerically) higher should be a 60. I think the FF60 was also more common than the FF61, which is why I guessed 60.

Get a BoM, and I'll tell you what you want to know. I've got all the Dana BoM numbers "in the clear" so far - and I've finally opened a line of comms with someone in Dana to get anything I'm missing. So, once I get things sorted, a reference is forthcoming (as a section in Swappology, if nowhere else...)

Lower right webbing should have a 60, 61, 70 or 80 cast into it for identification. Most of the large Dana's did but not all. I still say that is a 60 though!:looney:

measure the ring gear diameter.

DANA 60 (63-95)
R.G. Diameter 9.75"
12 Bolt 1/2 X 20 RH
10 Bolt Cover
Pinion Diameter 1.626" 29 Spline
4.10 & Numerically Lower
4.56 & Numerically Higher

DANA 60 FRONT (REVERSE CUT) 78-92
R.G.DIAMETER 9-3/4"
12 BOLT 1/2 X 20
10 BOLT COVER
Pinion Diameter 1.625" 29 Spline
R&P Fit 4.10 & Numerically Lower Case

DANA 70
R.G. Diameter 10.5"
12 Bolt 1/2 X 20 RH
10 Bolt Cover, 5/8 Pinion Off Set
Pinion Diameter 1.750" 29 Spline
4.10 & Numerically Lower
4.56 & Numerically Higher

DANA 80
R.G. Diameter 11.25"
12 Bolt 1/2 X 20 RH
10 Bolt Cover
Pinion Diameter 2" 37 Spline
3.73 & Numerically Lower
4.10 & Numerically Higher

It's either a Dana 60, or 61. If it has any gears numerically lower than 3.55's it's a defineatly a Dana 61, although just because it has 3.55's or higher doesn't mean it is without a doubt a Dana 60. Dana 61's can be found with as high as 4.10's, but Dana 60 CAN'T have anything lower then 3.55's.

Randy's can take care of you with a spacer and all the info you need if it's a Dana 61.

Back