• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case or Gears in Diff

jeepinxj05

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, here's the deal.. my '91 xj, aussie locked in the Dana 30 and an np242 transfer case has a problem. I put the thing in 4 wheel drive part time (High or Low) and sometimes it works, but most of the time, the front driveshaft just goes back and forth and it sounds like slipping gears... i don't think it's the chain simply because i replaced the thing over the past couple of days... anyone got a clue as to what is goin on down there???!!
christian

I think it is the front half of the part time gears worn out. Think I'm explaining it right. Go to rsgear.com and follow the links on how the 242 transfer case works. Are your tires all the same size? not one new and the other three half worn?

jeepinxj05 said:
Ok, here's the deal.. my '91 xj, aussie locked in the Dana 30 and an np242 transfer case has a problem. I put the thing in 4 wheel drive part time (High or Low) and sometimes it works, but most of the time, the front driveshaft just goes back and forth and it sounds like slipping gears...
jeepinxj05 said:
Actually, I was runnin three different kinds of tires.....
The 242 is very picky when it has odd-sized tires...that includes the same model with different inflation as well.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Put the two that match in the front and see if it still does it. Try it in fulltime 4WD. If it is still doing it then it might be re-build time for the 242.

Back