• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff Cover bolts.

jforse

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a set of RuffStuff Diff covers. Very beefy!!! What I'm wondering is what size (thread, dia, length) the diff cover bolts are on my D30/8.25? The RuffStuff cover is much thicker and I would like to get longer bolts to make up for this thickness. That way I still get proper thread engagement.
I did do a search and did not find anything on the bolt size, BUT my searching skills suck.

Thank you for your time!

-J

What does the Manufacturer recommend?

jforse said:
I just picked up a set of RuffStuff Diff covers. Very beefy!!! What I'm wondering is what size (thread, dia, length) the diff cover bolts are on my D30/8.25? The RuffStuff cover is much thicker and I would like to get longer bolts to make up for this thickness. That way I still get proper thread engagement.
I did do a search and did not find anything on the bolt size, BUT my searching skills suck.

Thank you for your time!

-J

Bolt size is 5/16ths - 18pitch, and I used .75" long allen cap screws on my ruff stuff D30 cover.. I think the 8.25 is the same..

5/16"-18 x 3/4", per reports from the field. You can get shorter screws, but you have to order them from a fastener house.

No trouble with using socket heads - but the use of flat washers would be recommended. The OEM screws have a "flanged hex head," which allows them to spread the clamping load out over a greater area. Thus, a washer should be used under a regular hex head or a socket head (although I do tend to prefer socket heads.)

I'll also suggest using a stud in the topmost hole - loosen the nut to control the cover when you remove it, and use the stud to hold things up when you put it all back together. Saves a lot of wrestling...

take a old bolt to the store, get grade 8's in same size but the length you need! simple.

5-90,
Thanks for the stud idea. :idea:

RyanM said:
take a old bolt to the store, get grade 8's in same size but the length you need! simple.

grade eight for diff cover = over kill.

i guess you can't be too careful.:eyes:

I'm kinda miffed the covers dont come with hardware :dunno: I like it when stuff comes with all the hardware, saves that extra step....

but damn, those Ruff Stuff covers are sure nice....

They come with hardware when you get the countersunk and drain plug diff covers from them. Very nice covers by the way, I just put the same set on my jeep.

carrlf said:
They come with hardware when you get the countersunk and drain plug diff covers from them. Very nice covers by the way, I just put the same set on my jeep.

:clap: yay!

carrlf said:

When I ordered the Dana 30 & 8.25" covers online, I tried to order the countersunk option, The option came up as no longer available or I would have ordered it!

law.74 said:
So is there a benefit to countersunk holes & hardware or is it just for "looks"?

Just one less thing that can get sheared off by a big rock. And they look cool too.

Back