• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracked manifold QUick Fix??????

If you weld it drill a small hole at each end of the crack before you weld it, will remove some of the stress. I welded mine over a year ago and no problems [knocking on wood as I type].

A buddy of mine silver soldered his. I've used sheet copper and a hose clamp for a temporary fix. I tried aluminum foil and a hose clamp, but it melted quick.
My MIG welds typically hold for three years. I weld with the manifold clamped to the welding table to avoid warping and relieve the weld a little with the torch.
The manifold is an alloy, I'm thinking next time trying to use stainless (nickel rich) wire, with straight helium (or Argon) and seeing how it works out.

Quick? Not really. Cheap? Certainly. Use the thermosteel (like Blaine said), clean the area very well (like Shorty said) and drill stop holes (like RichP said). In order to do all of this you should remove the manifold. This is what mine looked like. Cracked in 2 places.

01b0de32.jpg

4fec86b3.jpg

But, if you have it off, you might have it welded instead (like Mattbread said).

There, I think that covers everybody. ;)

Oh yeah I forgot to report. I didn't really find any loose manifold studs/bolts. Although the last one at the back of the head wasn't totally tight.

What I did find interesting as there were a few valvecover bolts that were unthreading themselves!

Where are you located? I have my old manifold sitting in my garage. I had to replace my down pipe so I decided to do the manifold while I was getting dirty.

91Woody said:
Where are you located? I have my old manifold sitting in my garage. I had to replace my down pipe so I decided to do the manifold while I was getting dirty.
Your sig, "Your posts look like someone threw a Scrabble game in the drier and wrote down the ensuing phonetic chaos verbatim." Ford Fascist-- had me rolling :laugh2: I wonder how some of these guys made through school-------Hans

Back