• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bearing noise when cold only?

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
My 94 started right up and it was about 11 degrees out at 4AM this morning. Gotta love black friday's:shiver: . Anyway's it had like a rattle type squeel until it warmed up. Then it was quiet. Any ideas how to narrow it down? Which is the culprit for the squeel? It's a 94 4.0 w A/C. The A/Cdoes work and it has about 128000 miles. The alternator is about 3 years old. I'd hate to get up early and leave the Heep outside of the garage overnight in the freezing temps.

Your 94 only has 128000 miles on it!!?? My 99 has 148000. Oh, and a stethoscope (or a long screwdriver) can be used to help pinpoint the origin of the noise.

Check your belt first off

Last edited:
Jeepm@n said:
My 94 started right up and it was about 11 degrees out at 4AM this morning. Gotta love black friday's:shiver: . Anyway's it had like a rattle type squeel until it warmed up. Then it was quiet. Any ideas how to narrow it down? Which is the culprit for the squeel? It's a 94 4.0 w A/C. The A/Cdoes work and it has about 128000 miles. The alternator is about 3 years old. I'd hate to get up early and leave the Heep outside of the garage overnight in the freezing temps.

Two things. 1. When I woke up it was 60 degrees:wave1: 2. Don't mean to belittle the problem but any chance it was a belt?

squeeling sounds like belt or AC. Was the button on defrost? i think the bearings would sound like a slight knock.
I would run a 0w or 5w -30 Sythetic oil. 10w-30 Dino juice is thick at freezing temps.

No it was more of a dieing bird chirping. It's an Aw4 transmisssion and I shall try the screwdriver method this morning. I'm going hunting and need to be in the stand @ 5AM. Should be about 18 degrees out then lol. P.S. belt is only 1 month old and has done this a couple cold mornings before I even changed it.

IM tellin ya.....Dieing bird or the sound of goats mating.......Tighten your belt up or just replace the belt. Its the belt its the belt maybe the belt

Yee fricken hah it's the alternator bearings. Guess that piece of cr** rubber splash shield was supposed to be down there to prevent splash up and didn't do it's job. Well alternator upgrade here I come.

Back