• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oscillating Idle

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
'88 4.0 Auto.

My XJ is starting to give me some oscillating idle, doesn't seem to matter if it is warm or cold. So far nothing serious, it otherwise seems to run strong, just started doing this a few weeks ago.

It has also shut down on me a couple times while sitting at a red light, starts right up and runs fine afterwards.

The kid just came in and told me it died on him again today. with "black smoke coming from the front" He waited a minute, restarted it and it's been fine all day.

It is tough to tell what he means by "black smoke coming from the front"

88XJSport said:
Major manifold leak???

Exhaust manifold? Could that occur randomly like that? I have been driving the jeep daily for a few months and took it on two long day highway/trail runs, never had any bad signs.

Plus I drove it around the rest of the day today with no issues. I am thinking a sensor or vacum connection is the culprit, but have no idea where to start.

I will look into the O2 sensor, Can you elaborate on the EGR system, any other input would be much appreciated.

Sorry, I don't really have any experience working on cars.

Last edited:
Back