• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Theres always something else, Isn't there?

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
Well after sorting out all my vacuum lines under the hood, the Jeep runs great and I have 4wd again.

But. Theres always a but. I put it 4wd, went about 2 feet, and it started making noises. Now, even out of 4wd and with no vacuum lines to the T-case and front axle, I can't go two feet without getting this clicking/crunching/grinding sound. I can tell its coming from the front axle area.

Any ideas what to check? Hub bearings are fine, steering linkage is fine, brakes are good. Everythings fine except that. Could it be something inside the diff?

1985, Dana 30/35, 2.5L engine.

Last edited:
Sounds like the shift fork for the vacuum disconnect isn't engaing or disengaging all the way. Pull the the housing for the disconnect and check if the collar is in between shafts.

I installed a posi-lock (cable disconnect) on mine, and if your moving while disengaing it, it will click, crunch, and grind too.

85xj4dr said:
If its not working right, is there a way I can fix it? Or would just getting a cable disconnect be easyer?
If it's not engaging or disengaing all the way, its probably related to a vacuum leak. The section of hose that connects the shift motor on the axle to the hard line on the frame is a common place for a leak. You can try replacing that section to see if it fixes the problem.

Another solution would be converting to a 1 piece shaft like Ryan suggested. If you go this route you'll have to add a seal in the diff, and use a block off plate.

Your final option would be installing a cable disconnect. After screwing around with my stock setup, trying to figure out why it wouldnt engage I decided to build a cable disonnect. Then after wasting another week trying to build a cable disconnect I broke down and bought one. Spendy, but its never given me any problems, and I like the ability to unlock the front end for tight corners.

Spend a little time searching about the above topics, and you'll find a ton of info. I went through this exact same thing when I first got my jeep.

Back