• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 xj check engine codes

ezsk8er

NAXJA Forum User
i have 1 1996 xj, i bough it with a blown motor for 400 dollars replaced the motor, and the check engine light is on, i retrieved the trouble codes they are 12, 21 and 42 i know one is the oxygen sensor but the other two im not sure what they mean, any help or tips are appreciated thank you

12= Battery disconnected-Battery voltage to PCM within the last 50 key-on cycles
21=Oxygen sensoror circuit-check oxygen sensor and circuit-replace sensor
42=Automatic shutdown relay or control circuit-Have the vehicle diagnosed at a dealer service dept. or other qualified repair shop.

Haynes manual.

Don't worry about the 12. That code just signifies the beginning of the sequence.

ASD Relay or control circuit . what does this mean I wonder.

What year motor you swap in?

i swapped in an 89 xj block but put back the 96 intake manifold and all the electronics, along with the 96 tubular exhaust headers, and replaced the starter alternator and powersteering pump all new the relay is in the box should i try to replace it or just check all the wire connections again?

Back