• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new/reman? MOPAR non-HO 4.0 long-block?

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Wondering if anyone knows how much a long-block from the dealer costs? (realizing that some dealerships are less greedy than others)

Are these 'new' engines or just factory rebuilds? What sort of warranty?

odds are one of mine will need an engine one day sooner or later, and want to start a savings account for that.

Might consider rebuilding one myself, once I get the shop together and some better torque wrenches, but for now, I am leaning towards plug & play.

most motors are rebuilt and reconditioned........from a dealership i don't know prices. From my local parts store it is like$1500 but that includes a $300 core charge so really around $1200. The only thing you need is your oil pan and valve cover, H20 pump. It even comes with a 15 month unlimited miles warranty, or for $100 more you could get 3 yrs or 75k miles. I am lucky, My brother works for the store and i get a 20% discount so I get away with a motor for a little over $900.

A new "crate" motor is very expensive from what i have heard....but that is just hear say.

Was chatting with a guy up at napa whose a marshall engine distributor. He quoted me about 1130, not including a 250 core it comes with a coast to coast 36 month 100K warranty.

Last time I asked a parts guy at the jeep dealer where I buy my stuff it was around $2000, but they were giving me a 10% discount back then, with the full jeep warranty whatever that is when you buy it. If they do the installation figure around $3000-3500.
I just had a Jasper rebuild in the wifes Oldsmobile, that V6 installed with labor and parts worked out to $3000 plus we had a new water pump, belts, tension arm done at the same time. The water pump failure is what caused the overheat and head warp.

They are factory rebuilds.

I put one in 3 years ago. It cost me $1800 and came with a 3 year warranty.

Either

In answer to your 2nd question Woody, they sell both at the dealer. If you want a new long block ask for a crated engine which was manufactured when the car was new and then "crated" for selling at a later date. The dealers also work with a factory authorized remanufacturing facility for rebuilts so you will have to ask them where they get them from. Crated engines are prized by racing enthusiasts who want that new block smell.:D

I bought an ATK long block engine last summer for $1875 with core charge. It came with a 3yr unlimited warranty. Shipped to/from your house. Runs strong- no problems so far. See www.atkengines.com for more info.:)

Back