• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

keeping the tranny in 1st while in 4lo?

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a simple mod to get the AW4 to stay in first while in 4lo? I know that theres a whole controller and such from a vendor, but thats more then what I really would like.

I would just like to keep the tranny from shifting to 2nd while in low range and in 1/2 gear.

I'm not Auto tranny guru by any means, but from what I gather, this is about as good as you're gonna get.

If you just don't think that you'll need the manual control, switch it back to full auto when you're ready to come out of first.

Or you might check to see if there is a B&M type shifter...but I think that would likely turn your Auto tranny into a manual shift full time. If you want to be able to switch between fully automatic and manual control, I don't think you'll find anything much better than that AW shifting thingamajig.

ROBERTK said:
Is there a simple mod to get the AW4 to stay in first while in 4lo? I know that theres a whole controller and such from a vendor, but thats more then what I really would like.

I would just like to keep the tranny from shifting to 2nd while in low range and in 1/2 gear.
no dont spend $130 on a stupid controller from some vender. I wired mine up myself for under $15. all you need is a switch, some wire, and a wire tap.

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234510

just follow that write up. I also did the torque converter switch on that site since I was already in the TCU harness and those 2 mods together are so perfect. If you want any pics let me know and I'll snap a couple

hockey10588 said:
no dont spend $130 on a stupid controller from some vender. I wired mine up myself for under $15. all you need is a switch, some wire, and a wire tap.

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234510

just follow that write up. I also did the torque converter switch on that site since I was already in the TCU harness and those 2 mods together are so perfect. If you want any pics let me know and I'll snap a couple

Thats exactly what I wanted to know.....

And the 130 controller for full control over the AW4 I think may be worth it but for just this one need I dont know. I think the 10$ on parts is more inline with what I want to do here..

Thanks!

PS.. SO any known issues yet? You did this I take it and its been in place for some miles? ANy issues at all?

ROBERTK said:
PS.. SO any known issues yet? You did this I take it and its been in place for some miles? ANy issues at all?
no issues yet. I really only use when when I'm wheeling and it's so nice to just stay in first when you're coming down a hill or pegging the throttle during a steep hill climb. it works so well and for $15 its probably one of the best mods i've done to my Jeep.

Try putting the shifter in the "1" position.

If you want 2nd gear then you need to wire in the switch.

I made my own controller, and have had it in over a year with no problems at all. A lot of the time I don't use it and just keep it in first, If I want 2nd I engage the manual shift. This way the TC locks and unlocks like normal so it doesn't heat up.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
Try putting the shifter in the "1" position.

If you want 2nd gear then you need to wire in the switch.

I made my own controller, and have had it in over a year with no problems at all. A lot of the time I don't use it and just keep it in first, If I want 2nd I engage the manual shift. This way the TC locks and unlocks like normal so it doesn't heat up.

Huh? You lost me...

If I am starting a very soft packed hill climb and bring the RPM's up to say 4K and try to hold them there-abouts it shifts to 2nd. SO I need something to allow me to just hit about 4K in 1st adn keep it there for tire speed/HP, till I get to the top or give up. Without allowing me to stay in 1st I now have to give up most of the time, where I KNOW it should make it through. But since it shifts to 2nd and the motor bogs the Tire speed slows drastically and theres no real way to get it back in first till the tire speen really comes down.

I will do that that write up shows and see if / how well it works for me.

That's very odd, If I keep my gear selector in first, it won't shift to 2nd, even if redlined.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
That's very odd, If I keep my gear selector in first, it won't shift to 2nd, even if redlined.

Same with mine.....I thought there was something wrong with it. In 1-2 it stays in 1st....never shifts to 2nd.

If I am in 3 or D then it is fine and shifts into every gear.

JasonCherokee said:
Same with mine.....I thought there was something wrong with it. In 1-2 it stays in 1st....never shifts to 2nd.

yeah it will, eveentually, the TCU will not let the jeep damage itself

JasonCherokee said:

Well my logic would tell me that there's 2 trannys that need looking at?

1/2 is first AND second. It will Up shift and down shift as the TCU sees fit for speed and RPM. Maybe its just that both of you have not changed the spedo gear and have a taller tire then stock? Just doesnt make sence not to shift in to second when your in the first and second gear selector, if everythings working right?

JasonCherokee said:

You must be geared low. Mine does the same thing. while running at 61:1 Never hits 2nd, even at the rev limiter.
When I was in the 34:1 range it did grab second. After the 4:1 went in I haven't hit second with 4.88's and now with 5.38's. Pretty sure it's a VSS signal thing with the TCU. But haven't researched it to much.

ROBERTK said:
Well my logic would tell me that there's 2 trannys that need looking at?

1/2 is first AND second. It will Up shift and down shift as the TCU sees fit for speed and RPM. Maybe its just that both of you have not changed the spedo gear and have a taller tire then stock? Just doesnt make sence not to shift in to second when your in the first and second gear selector, if everythings working right?
Make that 3!!! mine stays in 1st as well w/only 30" tires?

I typically use 1/2 in 4low as an engine break. It works nice but what happens when the trail ain't so steep for 1/2 but too sttep for 3?

Here's what ya do. Shift into 3, get the RPMs up to around 2k then shift back into 1/2. The tranny should shift into 2nd. You have to watch it though, cause if your RPMs drop to around 1500 it'll slam back into first gear and your XJ will be like the roller coaster at the end of the ride! Hope you have your seatbelt on.

hockey10588 said:

Congrats on being able to make one yourself...

Kudos on winning the asshat of the day award...

But just because you can DIY doesn't mean you can diss a stupid controller from some vender

There's more involved in that particular design than a simple switch.

Gil BullyKatz said:
But just because you can DIY doesn't mean you can diss a stupid controller from some vender

I usually don't chime in on things such as this but I hafta agree w/ Gil.

Nice way to dog on a vendor and paying member of this site whereas YOU are still in the black.

A lot of mods can be done by yourself, but not everyone has the time, inclination or skills to modify their XJs. That's where vendors and manufacturers come into play.

JasonCherokee said:

That's how my 97' works too. It stays in first and won't shift into second. I like it that way, but wish I could choose second if I like.

Back