• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IAC Issues

BBeach

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched a bit but haven't found too much related to this exactly. My jeep will occasionally drop down to 400-500rpms when pulling up to a stop sign/light. It rarely stalls (happened twice over the past month) but I was thinking its some kind of IAC issue. I cleaned it out (was still pretty clean because I bored it out a little while ago) so that doesnt seem to be the issue. The O-ring is still there, I've got it tightened up pretty good too. This problem was evident before the bored throttle body when I had my stock one. The only other thing (other than the motor itself) would be that one of my 4 bolts connecting it to the intake manifold is stripping out. I figured that between the gasket and the 3 other bolts torqued to spec that it wouldnt have any problems sealing. Any ideas? I don't feel like buying a new one but if anyone's got any ideas they are appreciated.

I'm not sure if this is a recommended idea, but i've heard of a way to test if your IAC is actually functioning the way it should be (or if its stuck shut) - take it off with the engine running and see if your RPMs go up.

JNickel101 said:
I'm not sure if this is a recommended idea, but i've heard of a way to test if your IAC is actually functioning the way it should be (or if its stuck shut) - take it off with the engine running and see if your RPMs go up.
Thats sounding like a plan B, or C :rof:

JNickel101 said:
You can do this but unplug the IAC first so that it does not over extend because it will close(extend) as the mixture leans out.

You may need to Helicoil the other bolt for the TB. when the engine heats up and the aluminum intake expands at a different rate of the TB it may be opening up enough gap to suck air at the missing bolt.

xjtrailrider said:
You can do this but unplug the IAC first so that it does not over extend because it will close(extend) as the mixture leans out.

You may need to Helicoil the other bolt for the TB. when the engine heats up and the aluminum intake expands at a different rate of the TB it may be opening up enough gap to suck air at the missing bolt.
I forgot to mention that the noise is only in drive, and that it would go away if i put it in neutral. The expanding is a possibility as the noise kind of goes away after a while, but that could possibly have something to do with closed vs. open loop?

The throttle body is made out of aluminum too, but but the screw isnt the same if thats what you meant, either way Im not sure if thats the case.

BBeach said:
The throttle body is made out of aluminum too, but but the screw isnt the same if thats what you meant, either way Im not sure if thats the case.

The intake is getting heat from the engine, the TB is being cooled by the air coming in. They are both the same metals but there is a gasket between the 2 so they will expand at different rates. The screw being missing should be fixed either way, wether it is the cause of the issue or not.

xjtrailrider said:
The intake is getting heat from the engine, the TB is being cooled by the air coming in. They are both the same metals but there is a gasket between the 2 so they will expand at different rates. The screw being missing should be fixed either way, wether it is the cause of the issue or not.
The screw should be fixed next summer or something, not too much time or cash now. The intake is being cooled by the same air too, but I do know what you mean by the gasket separating the two. Does anyone know why there's no noise in neutral but only in drive?

BBeach said:
The screw should be fixed next summer or something, not too much time or cash now. The intake is being cooled by the same air too, but I do know what you mean by the gasket separating the two. Does anyone know why there's no noise in neutral but only in drive?
I can't explain this one either, my 96 makes a noise when first started and in gear. My 90, 94, and 00 does not make the noise.

Back