• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this broken?

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a loud pop that i hear when i turn my wheels. it only happens once when turning, and usually when i turn the wheel a lot, like backing out of a parking space or my driveway. I have looked at everything underneath and i can't figure out if this is the problem. The joint between the pitman arm and the drag link looks like its not at the right angle. and the rubber that holds the grease in is obviously no good anymore. do the pics look right or does it look like that might be part of the problem?

joint2.jpg

joint.jpg

Have someone turn the wheel while you look (engine off). Also check the bolts hold the track bar bracket to the body. You can see the 2 on the bottom. The other 2 are up inside the wheel well with nuts on the inside. My was clunking only at extreme turns. Mine was the track bar bracket bolts were loose.

It looks ok to me. Make sure that your track bar and control arms are tight. When my lower control arms got loose I had all sorts of poping noises then backing up and then going forward again.
Aaron

Before you go thinking "parts" - check the fasteners for your track bar.

Your track bar runs from the frame to the axle, and is meant to keep the axle from wandering side-to-side. I had a couple rigs that "popped" while turning, and both of them had a loose screw at the track bar mount on the axle. A few minutes with a torque wrench, and problem solved.

If you want to check tie rod ends, grab a large pair of channel-lock pliers. Put one jaw on the body of the joint, and the other on the flange where to stud bolts in (or the stud itself.) The joint should compress not more than 1/16" using minimal force, and should fully rebound.

wow thanks. all the replies point towards the track bar, so i'll check it out right now. i dont have a torque wrench, so if its loose, how much should i tighten it to still be safe?

GUDDENTIGHT, should be close enough. They're pretty beefy so I doubt you snap one unless you use a cheater bar.

is the drag link and tie rod supposed to have some play in it if you grab one of the bars and just rotate it back and forth? and to check the track bar, i' assuming i should have it off the ground, right?

01_XJ said:
is the drag link and tie rod supposed to have some play in it if you grab one of the bars and just rotate it back and forth? and to check the track bar, i' assuming i should have it off the ground, right?

Yes - that's what the ball joints are for (they're just smaller versions of the ball joints in the steering knuckles.)

No - suspension should be tightened up with the vehicle on level ground, at rest. Not doing so will accelerate bushing wear horribly...

So instead of starting a new thread, gonna ask another question here. I'm not sure if its related or not, but i have had a hard vibration/woble while between 50-60 MPH. Its mostly there when i'm on the brakes hard. but also while speeding up, but hardly noticeable. I just replaced my brake pads and rotors, and it was still doing it. After going from the bald stock tires to new 30" bfg's the vibe has went away for the most part, but its still there a little bit. On top of that, when i'm on the brakes, i hear a grinding sound all the way to a stop, but front and rear pads are fine. I don't think its a wheel bearing because i only hear and feel it when on the brakes.

could the vibe be linked to the trackbar or LCA's? and could that vibe being there for a long time somehow cause damage to the brakes since it would wobble so hard when i hit the brakes?

Trac-bar on vibes

so i checked the axle end bolt and it feels tight. the bracket that holds it to the frame is tight also, could it be the joint on it?

01_XJ said:
so i checked the axle end bolt and it feels tight. the bracket that holds it to the frame is tight also, could it be the joint on it?

Yes, it could. Check the joint the same way I told you to check tie rod ends.

Also, eyeball the bushing in the axle end - if it's worn to the point where it's become sloppy, that could also be a problem.

alright i'll check that. gotta pick up a pair of channel locks tomorrow. I've ben meaning to get some but never get around to it. guess i'll hit up sears in the morning.

Back