• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

this is what my jeeps doing and i cant figure out why it wont start

i replaced the head gasket cause it was blown but even when the head gasket was blown it still did the same thing. it turns over it just wont completley fire up and its buggin me... its sooooo close but it just cant get that extra push for some reason

timing is off, spark plugs are bad/cracked and have no ground, CPS is bad, ICM is bad

those are what you should be looking at, starting with timing then going to the rest.

my 90 xj did that recently and it was due to faulty plugs.

yea see thats what ive been hearing and the spark plugs are brand new. and as far as i know the spark plugs are connected in the right order. can someone send me or show me something that shows the right order of the spark plugs? and how do i fix the timing cause ive heard that its self timing but something about the rotor in the distributor could be off but the rotor and distributor are brand new too.

are you kidding me?

you replaced the head gasket and you don't know about timing?

do know what a timing chain is? you should have had to remove one to get your head off so that you could replace the gasket. actually, you'd have to remove the whole front cover and engine accessories to do it.

look on the intake manifold for firing order. it's stamped right behind the throttle body.

number 1 cylinder is in front, number 6 is in back. if you can't figure it out from here, you've screwed up your timing and probably never should have attempted to do the head gasket replacement. (sorry for seeming like I'm flaming but honestly...)

jeepcomj said:
are you kidding me?

you replaced the head gasket and you don't know about timing?

do know what a timing chain is? you should have had to remove one to get your head off so that you could replace the gasket. actually, you'd have to remove the whole front cover and engine accessories to do it.

look on the intake manifold for firing order. it's stamped right behind the throttle body.

number 1 cylinder is in front, number 6 is in back. if you can't figure it out from here, you've screwed up your timing and probably never should have attempted to do the head gasket replacement. (sorry for seeming like I'm flaming but honestly...)
I take it you never worked on a 4.0 H.O.It It isn't an over head cam engine,if you can't figure it out from here you've screwed up your reply and probably never should have attempeted to reply in the first place(sorry for seeming like I'm flaming,but honestly....)

yeah I bit my tongue soon as I said it:eye: ...last few motors I did were OHC. so, sorry.

regardless, you do still need to remove some accessory to take the head off, you also shouldn't attempt that project if you don't have a basic comprehension of timing specifics on your vehicle, and don't even know what the firing order is.

as it is, the firing order is still on your intake. check there.

sounds to me like your plugs wires aren't in the right spot, or it's just plain not firing (bad CPS or ICM most likely). you didn't mess with the cap and rotor (distributor) position at all did you?

again, my mistake on the timing chain

That haynes manual on the dash in you viedo will tell you the firing order. And are u sure you are gettin gfuel to all the cylinders? Sience you have to pull all he plugs anyways while they are out crank it over and if gas is coming out of all the cylinders then you are ok. My renix did this and it ended up being the plugs for the injectors where undone.

Back