• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifting from 4hi to 2hi bang

Flip94ta

NAXJA Forum User
Hello guys, I am getting a bang when I shift from 4hi to 2hi, and it takes awhile to for the axle to dissconnect, like 1/8-1/4 mile. I am just putting it into 4 hi on wet pavement once a month to keep things lubed up, I'll drive for a 1/2 mile before putting it back into 2hi. My search just noted that ths can somtimes happen with a smaller tire like a spare on the truck. All my tires are the same size but the fronts are brand new and the rears are almost gone, I didnt think that that would make enough of a difference. The jeep is a 96 xj with aw4, 231. Thanks.

BTW is this a vacuum disconnect model?

The 96 is not a disconnect model. But uneven tire wear is quite enough to cause this problem. If you can't afford to get new tires, pull over, stop and reverse briefly when shifting out of 4 hi, and it should unstress the gears enough to disengage.

Flip94ta said:
I am just putting it into 4 hi on wet pavement once a month to keep things lubed up, I'll drive for a 1/2 mile before putting it back into 2hi.
x2 on don't do that, even on wet pavement, without an ability to slip in the t-case like a 242 you can stretch the chain in your 231 leading to more problems down the road

Thanks for the replies guys, I didnt know that the fluid circulated itself so I wont do that anymore. As for tire wear, I bet the rears are 1/2" shorter than the fronts and I read where that can bind things up. The rears are michelins and they seem to run shorter and wider than other brands. It will be getting new tires in three weeks, the michelins have just refused to wear down all the way. It has 136k miles and at slow speeds I can hear the t-case chain flapping a little. I'll be giving it to my mom in the fall and I just wanted to make sure all is well. I can see us probably getting the case rebuilt in a few years.

Flip94ta --

You should not be running on wet pavement in 4WD with a 231 transfer case. Wet pavement probably isn't really slippery enough to allow the front and rear wheels to travel different distances. The bang you hear is the stress you are building up in the drive train.

If you want to exercise your 4WD, do it in sand or on wet grass, not pavement.

Back