• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rock rails

I run AJ's super rails and beat the holy living hell out of them. I would recommend them to anyone. My dad, 2 friends, And myself all run them.

I started out with Rocky Road Outfitters because I bought them used and for cheap! They worked well for over 3 years. I recently got a set of JCR sliders and holy crap what a difference. BEEFY!!!! It took a little getting used to with the tube sticking out. You know, getting in and out of the rig. But I beat the snot out of them a few times and this past weekend, they saved me on Clawhammer in Johnson Valley. They need a new coat of paint and maybe a little sanding to get the slivers and burs off..... :laugh3:

If you do a search, you will find many opinions on many different sliders. I have heard nothing but good for anything from AJ and JCR. Both have great products and service. I believe they both are sponsors of NAXJA, I know for sure JCR is.

It might boil down to who can get it to you in the time frame you want it. Give them both a call or PM and et them know what you want. Ask when you could have it and what not.

Good luck!

Why don't you make your own and combine the best of AJs, JCR and Rocklizard?
That's what I did and I'm very happy with the result.

Here they are - they've got the mounting design from Rocklizard (which in my mind is the beefiest of them all), with wide main slider from JCR (3"x2" rather than the more common 2"x2") and the spring mount tie in from AJ:

IMG_4636.jpg

IMG_4634.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4638.jpg

IMG_4639.jpg

Gorman - i have been planning to build my own rock rails for quite a while now. I have my steel and I design and redesign, research and search some more. IMHO yours are the best I have seen. Good job on those.

If you could get me a couple of pics of the pinch seam mounting, I'd really appreciate it.

Save yourself all the trouble and go with the AJ's Super Rails. I just got my set yesterday and they are made very well. Excellent welds and I love the touch of diamond plate steel at the ends of the square tubing.

For the price, you'll be hard pressed to beat AJ's. My plans today are paint prep and a first coat of primer.

another vote for JCR I've beat em up pretty good and they have held up great

fuzzydog said:
Gorman - i have been planning to build my own rock rails for quite a while now. I have my steel and I design and redesign, research and search some more. IMHO yours are the best I have seen. Good job on those

If you could get me a couple of pics of the pinch seam mounting, I'd really appreciate it.

Fuzzydog, thanks for the compliment!

I'll have to go take a pic or two as I don't think I've got one handy. Basically what my pinch seem mount consist of is 8mm flatbar bolted on with about five or six 8mm bolts.

ebyrd10000 said:
gorman how did you mount the rails did you use sleeves through the frame or just plates on the backside

No, I didn't use sleeves through the frame, just normal 12mm bolts. At the backside I used large washers rather than plates.

gorman said:
No, I didn't use sleeves through the frame, just normal 12mm bolts. At the backside I used large washers rather than plates.
You might want to consider sleeving the frame. With impacts on the rails you'll start putting pressure on the washer in the back and it's going to start pulling the frame rail in a bit on one side. I ended up sleeving the frame and I'm extremely happy with the result. Oh yeah, I sleeved and still put a big washer on the back :D

Kejtar said:
You might want to consider sleeving the frame. With impacts on the rails you'll start putting pressure on the washer in the back and it's going to start pulling the frame rail in a bit on one side. I ended up sleeving the frame and I'm extremely happy with the result. Oh yeah, I sleeved and still put a big washer on the back :D

when you sleeve, do you weld the sleeve to the frame rails, or just drill one side to the OD of the sleeve and the other side to the ID of the sleeve and bolt it up that way?

fuzzydog said:
when you sleeve, do you weld the sleeve to the frame rails, or just drill one side to the OD of the sleeve and the other side to the ID of the sleeve and bolt it up that way?
drilled outer with OD of the sleeve and inner with ID of the sleeve and bolted it on. You do have to kind of support it with a bolt from the inside as you're linstalling t so that it does not fall down and in on you. Also at this point where I"m pretty decent with a welder I regret not taking it into place on the outside to the frame rail

Last edited:
Kejtar said:
drilled outer with OD of the sleeve and inner with inner OD of hte sleeve and bolted it on. You do have to kind of support it with a bolt from the inside as you're linstalling t so that it does not fall down and in on you. Also at this point where I"m pretty decent with a welder I regret not taking it into place on the outside to the frame rail

thanks for that info. I was thinking of doing this - drill OD on the inside frame rail and ID on the outside. Cut my sleeve to length and then weld an appropriate size washer onto the sleeve. Insert the sleeve from the inside frame rail and weld the washer to the frame rail. overkill?

fuzzydog said:
thanks for that info. I was thinking of doing this - drill OD on the inside frame rail and ID on the outside. Cut my sleeve to length and then weld an appropriate size washer onto the sleeve. Insert the sleeve from the inside frame rail and weld the washer to the frame rail. overkill?

washer? OK, if I could get to my sleeves I'd do the following:
1. Drill outside hole to be the OD of the sleeve.
2. Drill the inner hole to be the ID of the sleeve.
3. Install the sleeve and use a bolt from the inside to make sure it lines up.
4. Take angle grinder and grind it smooth to the surface of the framerail.
5. Tack weld it
6. Cleanup the weld.
7. Instal rails.

Kejtar said:

Must admit, I didn't even think of sleeving it, but I do see how it will be more sturdy. The way it is currently I'd say is stronger than self tapping screws a lot of sliders are mounted to the frame rails with and those seem to hold up okay.

Some time soon I need to weld up another set of sliders for a friend - in doing that I'll remove mine to get the measurements again. That will be a good time to do the sleeving. Thanks for the tip on how to do the sleeving!

Back